S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bubbles in cooling system and temp guage spiking

Old 01-25-2004, 04:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kyushin
Wow, sounds like they are tryin to cover something up, i asked them on my 3rd visit to do a pressure test on the cylinders, and it was not on the service invoice and he told me that they dont have a CODE for the test and thats the reason they didnt show it, and he did not give me any numbers for the test.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont really know alot about the car, if anything, but i had a real good feeling he didnt either and i was most suspicious on my last visit with the Free Oil change and no record to document it or the service on the cooling system, ill keep you posted, i get it back tomorrow hopefully.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Banned

Ok, now they have found that after every day of burping the system, since last tuesday a week now, that bubbles are still in the system and he wants to check for a blown head gasket with some tool that reads the level of co2 and co in the coolant? I will find the results tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a head gasket leak that'll make it spike that bad, you'd get huge puffs of white smoke from the exhaust. I'm just assuming here though. I've had a head gasket leak and it never really spiked up to be noticable since it was a small leak. For a leak of that amount, I wouldnt doubt you'd be able to smell it from your exhaust.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The S2000 has to have the thermostat installed with the little bleed hole pointing up, as Xviper mentioned. This will ensure that if there is air on the "engine" side of the thermostat, it will not cause a spike. Actually, I always drill such on a small hole (1/8") on every car themostat I own or work on for people. Your dealership does not sound like they were at the head of the line when brains were being handed out.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Banned

I am definitely taking it to a different dealership after i get it out this time, i do think they are idiots, tryin to screw me or both. But one thing is certain, they burp out the air, and for some reason, the system keeps getting air into it.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a head gasket. In early stages the combustions pressures leak into the water jackets. Later on water leaks back into the cylinders.

Get a radiator shop or automotive repairer to test it with a CO tester. These are simple tool that look like a monster battery hydrometer or satantic Turkey baster. They work by drawing air from above the coolant at the radiator cap and passing it through a blue liquid ( bromothymal blue (spelling??)). If there is CO in the air the liquid turns yellow. If you suck clean air through it the colour changes back to blue.

Another check is to put a clear hose ( make sure you get one with the reinforcing fishnet in it) inthe thin bleeder line between the radiator and coolant header tank. Make is long enough to run in front of the windscreen. (you may have to leave the bonnet latched on the safety catch). Take the car for a thrash. If lots of bubbles appear under load you have a headgasket problem.

I did this on a friends Porsche 944 as it was the only way we could convince the dealer he purchased it from there was a problem.

Good luck.

Speedracer.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leakdown.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Banned

UPDATE: It is most definitely a blown head gasket, in which the believe to be related to a previous accident in which i needed the radiator replaced, alittle hassle but not as bad as i expected, they just went by the old insurance claim and my insurance company will ok the repair and i should be good to go by saturday hopefully, assuming no extra damage, only the head gasket. StateFarm insurance is the best!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Metal head gaskets rarely blow, They need to check the head and block for straightness when they tear the engine down. This may require more than just a gasket to fix. Good luck

Quick Reply: Bubbles in cooling system and temp guage spiking