S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken wire repair or replace??

Old 06-17-2021, 06:09 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RedS2Kftw
Thanks for all the responses and guidance.

There isn’t a whole lot of extra slack in the wire which makes me nervous but at least you’re not all telling me it’s hopeless and I need an entire wire harness.

Thanks again!
Just extend the wire an inch or two, not a big deal. Instead to reattaching, add a 2 inch section in the middle, solder, heat shrink, add loom, tape and done.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:20 AM

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
I use a small dab of solder rosin paste to help clean the wires, just before soldering. The minimal amount of solder to make a complete, shiny solder point . BTW... I like and always use butt splice to solder two ends together. A clean, efficient solder and heat shrink insulation --- the joint should last a long time.

Solder Rosin Flux
Yep, flux is always your friend Now if used on a PCBA you want to make sure to clean it off afterwards due to the acidity.

If you really want a NASA like wire splice that is super strong, look up the "Wester Union Splice" Will make a super good connection and has a lot of solder/wire surface area along with being super strong and easy to keep in place while soldering. I normally just neatly interwine them and solder but sometimes have used that technique
Old 06-17-2021, 01:59 PM

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Learned something new on splicing when I searched for images with the "Western Union Splice" as keywords. I knew that splice, just not the official term. For multi strand wire I do this:

The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (06-17-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 09:45 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Just started soldering by hand at my work. Get trained by a "Mecha-Troniker". New german job, half electronic, half mechanic. Fascinating how much difference just a professional soldering station and solder makes.
He told me that the Flux in the solder could "Evaporate" or go bad over time. I was stunned, because i allways had a hard time doing soldering jobs on my Motorcycles. I asked him "wait, do you mean that i have trouble because my spool of solder is 30 Years old?" and he told me that this is most likely the reason. Its maybe a good idea to throw away your dust coverd solder spool and buy a new one.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Just started soldering by hand at my work. Get trained by a "Mecha-Troniker". New german job, half electronic, half mechanic. Fascinating how much difference just a professional soldering station and solder makes.
He told me that the Flux in the solder could "Evaporate" or go bad over time. I was stunned, because i allways had a hard time doing soldering jobs on my Motorcycles. I asked him "wait, do you mean that i have trouble because my spool of solder is 30 Years old?" and he told me that this is most likely the reason. Its maybe a good idea to throw away your dust coverd solder spool and buy a new one.
I have some rosin core solder and other rolls that I obtained when I was in elementary school in the 1960s. It never occurred to me to throw it out. I actually use newer tubes of flux because it works better but some of the solder I have is hard to get now. Some have lead, silver, tin, antimony and other elements depending on the job.
windhund116 (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 03:56 PM

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I have some rosin core solder and other rolls that I obtained when I was in elementary school in the 1960s. It never occurred to me to throw it out. I actually use newer tubes of flux because it works better but some of the solder I have is hard to get now. Some have lead, silver, tin, antimony and other elements depending on the job.
DON'T throw those old-school solder out! I still have all of my Kester (60/40) rolls. In my opinion, the best solder ever made.

Redone power supply rectifier board, on my 1968 Fender Bassman amp.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I had a shop I know repair the wires - VTEC has returned!

Would’ve liked to have done it myself but didn’t have the soldering equipment and would’ve needed my buddy’s assistance. We probably would’ve spent most of a night after work messing with it. I also knew I had a DIY oil change and engine mounts in my near future (can’t spend every night after work messing with it).
Old 06-19-2021, 01:57 AM

@ Cosmomiller, Windhund116: Thanks for the clarification. However, i will try a different, new solder the next time when i have to do soledering in my garage. I will see if my clumsy soldering improves.
Our electricans here at my company had a hard time as the european union banned lead from solder.... for enviromental protection reasons. Today, the new lead free soldera works as good as before, it seems.
windhund116 (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
@ Cosmomiller, Windhund116: Thanks for the clarification. However, i will try a different, new solder the next time when i have to do soledering in my garage. I will see if my clumsy soldering improves.
Our electricans here at my company had a hard time as the european union banned lead from solder.... for enviromental protection reasons. Today, the new lead free soldera works as good as before, it seems.
The state I live in goes overboard in banning all kinds of stuff. I tried to order some USA made multi colored anodized ball hex wrenches and discovered they could not be shipped to California! Same goes for lead solder in brick and mortar stores but you can have it shipped from some places as they don't care or know about the bans.
My roofer is installing and still using lead sheets for repair along certain features. Go figure!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:03 AM

Yes.. saving the enviroment is O.K., but some (most?) politicans are out of touch with reality and dont have a clue about technical stuff.
cosmomiller (06-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Broken wire repair or replace??