S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken U-Joint

Old 07-20-2005, 05:09 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts
Default Broken U-Joint

Thought I would post this here, since I don't know how this problem happened. I was driving through the mountains of WV last weekend when a loud whirring noise started. I had to drive the car to my destination since I was in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately, it was only about 20 miles to get there. When I stopped the car, it was no longer drivable, since something was clunking against the steering column. I did get in six hours of very fun mountain twisties beforehand.

I had to flatbed the car back to DC (250 miles) and it's at the dealer now being fixed. I lucked out since my insurance paid for the tow and my extended warranty is paying all but $100 of the cost to fix it. The technician says it's a broken U-joint in the drive shaft. There is no dispute about fixing it - I was just wondering whether anyone else has had this problem. Haven't read about it anywhere.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ms P, you probably want to move this to "UTH", rather than "Technical", You'll be much more likely to get a response there (This is only the 2nd post here in 3 days). And I think I did read a thread about a broken U joint not too long ago, maybe in the "Competition" forum, not sure though. It's not a common failure judging by the fact I only remember reading about one. You must drive like an animal!!
Glad it's sorted out. I don't see how it could have been clunking against your steering column though.. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Cheers, Mike
Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Yeah, you might be right...I thought of that. But I can't move it myself. Mods - move this to UTH for me? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Jul 20 2005, 06:09 AM
since something was clunking against the steering column.

The technician says it's a broken U-joint in the drive shaft.
Glad they're covering almost all of this.
The above quoted lines is a bit confusing. First, that business about something clunking against the steering column would suggest that it has something to do with the "U-joint" in the steering column. This would indicate that the locking bolt sheared off or fell off and the U-joint uncoupled.
We don't have true "U-joints" in the drive shaft (or "propeller" shaft in our case). The other joints that are in the 1/2 shafts are CV type joints. If any of these go, your steering would still function normally. The car just won't move.
The steering U-joint is not a common fault. The prop shaft joints rarely go. The CVs, however, have been known to go bad, but usually with much more abuse than what I can imagine that you would put your car through.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Hmmmm...well that description was mine. I could steer the car but there was something clunking when it went forward, so I barely moved it, only to park it, then drive it onto the edge of the tow truck bed. Then when we got back here, I drove it a few yards at the dealership. My dealer rep said the technician told him it was a broken U-joint, so I'm taking his word for it. When I pick up the car, I'll check further on the details. Thanks, Dave.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Jul 20 2005, 05:33 PM
Hmmmm...well that description was mine. I could steer the car but there was something clunking when it went forward, so I barely moved it, only to park it, then drive it onto the edge of the tow truck bed. Then when we got back here, I drove it a few yards at the dealership. My dealer rep said the technician told him it was a broken U-joint, so I'm taking his word for it. When I pick up the car, I'll check further on the details. Thanks, Dave.
OK, if you were able to steer it, then it's not a "U-joint" as we only have the one in the steering column. If you were able to drive it, then it is likely to be one of the CV joints. If it were a broken joint in the prop shaft, it is not likely the car would get any power to the rear wheels.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Member (Premium)

OK...I'm going to check on exactly which joint it is. Maybe the technician has his terms mixed up. Thanks again, Dave.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the cv joint on the differential end of my propshaft fail several years ago
Old 07-21-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my propeller shaft (drive shaft) because of a noisy CV joint at the rear. It could be that the mechanic just used the term "u-joint" because most cars use u-joints on the drive shaft.

Mine made some loud clicking noises several months ago then promptly went away (healed itself). Just recently I had the car up in the air and when spinning the prop shaft by hand or with the engine it sounded like there were loose marbles in it. Yikes! So I got a replacement at a junk yard ($175), verified the CV's were OK, and replaced it.

Don't know why it failed (at only 146k), but the grease in the rear CV was cooked and very dry and crumbly, front looked OK. Shame you can't replace the CV's by themselves.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Member (Premium)

^ Yeah, I have a feeling you are right and he just misnamed it. Ah, so the whole propeller shaft has to be replaced, not just the CV joints. Learning new stuff here.

Quick Reply: Broken U-Joint