S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken Throwout Bearing ...

Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Throwout Bearing ...

Hey guys!
I would like to share with you all my experience this past week on an absolutely destroyed throwout bearing (or pilot bearing ??) and how it felt before it exploded. A bit of a background on me, since this is my first real post to (hopefully) help this community!

I have a 2005 S2000. Bought it used with 2 wrecks (minor ones) and 70,000 miles. I've had this since the summer of 2012, so less than a year now. It has Tein Flex coilovers, Spoon strut tower, and now Exedy OEM replacement clutch assembly with the F1 racing flywheel (10.75lbs i think). This will NOT be a review for the Exedy + F1 racing FW...I guess if people want a review, i can post one.

I really hope this helps someone

I will do a somewhat backwards timeline...starting with

-what I mean by "destroyed."
The bearing, as many of you would know, has little ball bearings inside of it. The reason I knew it was busted was because the little ball bearings were all over the small hole you can look through from the tranny case. It was an absolutely destruction of the bearing!

- How it felt when it broke
It was weird...there was a thud sound (may be imagined..but I'm pretty sure it was there) as I was pressing the clutch, and the pedal just fell all the way to the floor and wouldn't come back up. I pulled over to the side of the road and then pull the pedal up off the floor with my hand with ease. I then got back in and tried to press on it with my foot and it would not budge! From what I've read, it is very similar to breaking the release hanger for the fork on the clutch assembly (*NOTE* - if you break the release hanger, there should NOT be ball bearings all over your tranny case!).

- How it felt before it broke (leading up to the break, what are the signs of an about-to-go throwout bearing)
The car has honestly been making excessive clutch buzz sounds for a LONG time (6-9 months). It would go INTO gears with ease, though. Not real problem from what I thought. However, upon each startup, you could hear a slight rattle/buzz from the tranny, which is now gone after having everything changes. A bigger sign for me was that the tranny would be VERY LOUD while engine breaking in all gears. Very buzzy, almost like you've got an air hammer pressed up against the tranny and your letting it shake the assembly without destroying it. I feel like the biggest sign for me was during engagement, especially in 1st gear, but occasionally 2nd (going from 1st to 2nd, not starting in 2nd) as well. When engaging, the whole car would shudder alot, as if you were lugging it, except I would be at like 2,000 rpm! Obviously I was not lugging it..! Now, that is all gone, and engages soooo smoothly.

This car has been an absolutely blessing to me, even after all the cost of maintenance as a new owners, I can't help but smile every time I sit in it and turn that motor over.

This forum has helped a bunch through all of this, and I hope I have contributed a bit to it as well.

Cheers!

JR
Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 PM

damn this just confirms that i need to tackle my clutch soon. i have a lot of those symptoms
Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 PM

Same here alpha, thank god I have a supercharger/clutch install coming up soon. Interested to see what I find haha.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 AM

Good to hear you fixed it
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you. I am sure this will come in handy for a few of us when the time comes