S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken Soft Top Latch

Old 08-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Soft Top Latch

My passenger side soft top latch will not depress, so I can't put down my top.

I felt around the latch mechanism with the top still up and noticed that a tiny washer had come loose, so I'm guessing that at least one of the screws came loose too.

I tried researching on here about broken latch fixes, but many of the posts are old and no longer have the pictures available online.

Regardless, I don't think the previous article fixesI found were the same kind of problem as mine.

My question is: Is it possible to undo the striker plate from the windshield frame like in this tutorial (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/517...age__hl__latch) and THEN remove my broken latch?

Or am I screwed either way? I simply cannot push the button in far enough for the lock mechanism to release the convertible top. This sucks...
Old 08-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Yeah remove the plastic trim pieces that run along the upper frame and a-pillars along with the interior light, then remove the plate using a large philips screwdriver. Those small bolts and washers are pains when they come loose (three of them per latch). Honda doesn't sell the bolts and washers separately. I bought some spare latches used just to get replacement bolts and washers as spares.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:56 PM

Thanks and WTF is Honda thinking by not offering to sell the latch hardware separately!??

Meh, stealerships SUCK...
Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 PM

So I was able to maneuver the push-button back onto its track enough to unlock the latch last night.

When the latch came down, I was surprised to see the tiny screw that came loose still inside the latch mechanism.

The first thing I did was to tighten down all four tiny screws on both latches with a phillips head screw drivers. I couldn't see the third screw per latch mentioned by JFUSION. Hey, it was dark. lol.

I noticed that the screws are really tiny and use really soft metal, so be careful. I advise EVERYONE to tighten these four screws at least every few months, or suffer the headache I did this past week.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking of the latch, anyone know what size the screws are that hold the release latch and springs onto the main part? One screw fell out and I can't find it so I'm hoping it's a common screw that I can get and any hardware or auto parts store instead of a special order deal from Honda.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by drbyers
So I was able to maneuver the push-button back onto its track enough to unlock the latch last night.

When the latch came down, I was surprised to see the tiny screw that came loose still inside the latch mechanism.

The first thing I did was to tighten down all four tiny screws on both latches with a phillips head screw drivers. I couldn't see the third screw per latch mentioned by JFUSION. Hey, it was dark. lol.

I noticed that the screws are really tiny and use really soft metal, so be careful. I advise EVERYONE to tighten these four screws at least every few months, or suffer the headache I did this past week.
my bad, there are 2 screws per side, not 3, it's been a while since I had dealt with my issues, definitely try to tighten them down as they seem to come loose. I wonder if a bit of locktite might help on them.