S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken rod due to oil overfill

Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,May 14 2007, 10:24 PM
Hole behind the water pump housing. I took the rod cap off, note the crank has suffered no oil issues. More pics once I tear it down...

Thats not going to buff out

So you still think 1/2 quart of oil may be the cause?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM

that's a whopper hole.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,May 14 2007, 10:48 PM
im afraid to ask this....

ive been filling the car with oil until it reads just below the top hash mark on the dip stick, and i make sure it stays there. im i overfilling my car? ive never had any mechnial problems so far.......
I think 1/2 quart overfilled means 1/2 quart after the final X on the dipstick.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,May 14 2007, 09:49 PM
I think 1/2 quart overfilled means 1/2 quart after the final X on the dipstick.
thanks. these billman threads always parnoy the hell outta me!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:55 PM

Waiting for these pictures is almost like Christmas morning at Grandmas.
Grandma never disappointed, so Billman, i've got high expectations.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

The front two piston tops are soaked with oil. so is the clylinder head. Stay tuned...
Old 05-15-2007, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weird but at work one time a posrshe came in and all it needed was oil change then the guys drained it while he went to help another guy. then came back to the porshe so he put plug back in change filter then went to check how much oil it take the manual said 9 i believe so he filled like 9 liter. but he only go i think like 5 in and when he started it it like smoked and started to come out the fill tube. then he found out there is another drain hole underneath the passenger side sill(?) and when he opened that it was like water then oil came out we believe no one ever did a real oil change just the change the 2 liters. but after they put the right level in it ran fine again
Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,May 15 2007, 06:12 AM
The front two piston tops are soaked with oil. so is the clylinder head. Stay tuned...
So, something was preventing the oil from draining out of the head. A bunch of oil up in the head, getting sloshed around on the dragon could easily get sucked through the PCV
Old 05-15-2007, 04:47 AM

based on billman's comment that 2 pistons were soaked with oil, sounds like billman nailed it on the head.

hydrolocked via overfilling the oil. sounds like the guy had way, way, Way too much oil.

and some JB Weld for the Win!!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:29 AM

So this is my car.... here's the scoop:

Sunday, 1 week before the dragon: I drained the old oil, jacked up the rear corner, and let it drip overnight.

Monday: Added 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and installed a new PCX filter. The dipstick registrered at slightly above full.

Th/Fri: Drove from NY to TN, pretty hard at times, with no issues.

Sat morining: I checked the dipstick and it read halfway between the H and L marks. This was probably 1,000 miles after the oil change. I went to the group meeting and left Fontana for a morning run. At some point a large group of us drove through one of the local towns and made a refueling stop at a pretty big gas station. (I forget where that was)

Ironically, I was concerned about oil starvation on the Dragon so I decided to buy some oil. I added a quart of Quaker State dino oil (they didn't have synthetic), which brought the dipstick past full... though I don't recall exactly what the level was. I figured that the car would be burning tons of oil since it was in for a pretty tough day on the Dragon, so I was actually aiming to overfill it a little.

As we drove with the group, every so often the car would blow large puffs of blue/white smoke at WOT... usually after downshifting when exiting a sharp curve. We actually pulled over to check it out at one point, but there was nothing obviously wrong under the hood.

Fast forward to Sunday, driving home with the guys. I approached a sharp curve in 4th gear, and braked before I entered. We went through the curve, and I downshifted from 4th to 3rd. Revs went from 3-4 to around 6-7, I think. I drove for about what seemed like 10 feet or so and all of a sudden the car lost power. It actually felt like it popped out of gear, which was my first thought, but I checked and that wasn't the case. Then almost immediately it started shaking and producing a lot of white smoke. I pulled over and shut it down just as the warning lights came on....

Quick Reply: Broken rod due to oil overfill