S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken Retainer clips...

Old 07-14-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The simpliest answer isn't always the right answer. Just because the easiest way to damage retainers is by over reving doesn't mean that it had to have happened this way. I know how I drove my car and all I have is my word. I understand why people will be skeptical. However, I've never driven this car outside of it's implied limits. I rarely even drive it hard. They aren't even claiming I over revved. They are saying that I've been to 9000 rpms to often. They can't just deny warranty coverage because the most common way to break something is through abuse. I'm sure you can do a lot of damage to a car by abusing it, and lots of differant parts can break. If something happens down the road will I be denied warranty coverage again because the part is mostly broken by abuse. The statement that a part is damaged by abuse without having the direct proof of this on the actual vehicle being taken into consideration is not good enough justification for me.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miike505,Jul 14 2006, 01:46 PM
They are saying that I've been to 9000 rpms to often.
That's BS from them. Plenty of S2000s spend a lot of time at 9000 RPMs without this damage. The reason the car has that redline is because it is designed to rev that high without damage.

They think you (or somebody) overreved it but they don't have proof, so they are giving you this BS explanation.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This is one of the deficiencies of our ECU. The thing should really be able to log when an overrev scenario occurs. This would make life easier for everyone. You're right that there's no proof either way in the current scenario. I'm not sure, maybe the MY06 has solved that problem.

Sorry for your troubles, Mike. It's true that Occam's Razor doesn't always apply, but cracked retainers is one of the key tell-tales for overrev. it's a good sign that they want to take the head off and look. Frankly, they're gonna have to do that anyway, and it sounds like they're trying to do due diligence.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:34 AM

I didn't even think of the ECU. That really would make this a lot easier for everyone. Why doesn't our ECU record that? Don't most ecu's? I thought they already checked the ecu and came up empty handed so they started doing all this other stuff.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Miike505,Jul 16 2006, 11:34 AM
I didn't even think of the ECU. That really would make this a lot easier for everyone. Why doesn't our ECU record that? Don't most ecu's? I thought they already checked the ecu and came up empty handed so they started doing all this other stuff.
04+ ECUs do. IIRC, the 00-03 ECUs don't.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:19 AM

All covered under warranty. . .

Not read further..
Old 07-17-2006, 11:33 AM

Glad to hear it. Sounds like they did the right thing.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Exactly. Sometimes the right words make all the difference. Glad to hear it.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:22 AM

Ok so now the tip of one of the valves is broken... They sent someone to inspect it and now they are rereviewing it to see if they want to cover it or not. After all this garbage. And I ask the tech what the signs of abuse are?... because it's broken. Also, YOUR TIRES ARE WORN. Seriously, I don't know what to do. I haven't had my car in over a week, and it's getting really stressful dealing with Honda Care. They are telling me to wait until monday until they can review the pictures. Seriously this is being dragged on too long. Adding up this and all the other bad experiences with the service at Honda I'm really not sure it's worth having this car.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 AM

There is always a risk in buying a used performance car. And many people have found that the regular Honda infrastructure (dealers, service departments, Honda Care, etc.) still doesn't know how to handle S2000s. They simply are not like Civics and CRVs. I suspect the Ridgeline owners will have similar issues, actually.

It is utter BS that they sell a sports car and then say that driving it as a sports car is "abuse". Just because it would be "abuse" to a Civic does not make it so for an S2000. Most of us who drive the car hard have given up on using the dealers for anything than an occasional source of parts.

Quick Reply: Broken Retainer clips...