S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken Retainer clips...

Old 07-13-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. I don't have nearly the experience with this issue that some of the people in UTH have. In fact, the only reason I know anything about it is because I have been intensely trying to study up on it for about three weeks, because I did overrev my engine (mildly) while I was out on the track the last weekend in June.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Miike505,Jul 13 2006, 05:28 PM
They say it doesn't have to be that. They say it could have happened from just being in high rpm's to often. That to me makes no sense.
Not to me, either. The car is designed for that. And even if it were the cause, that's not "abuse"! If they say the car has never been overreved but has just been "at high RPMs a lot" then the part was defective and should be fixed under the warranty.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cracked retainer is almost always from an over-rev. To my knoweldge, once the car begins showing problems it means damage beyond the retainer has occured (meaning the retainer dropped the valve), but I could be wrong.

One thing though is that Billman (one of the highest acclaimed s2ki mechanics) has said that it is possible for a cracked retainer to go a long time without letting go. PERHAPS the car was over-reved by the previous owner. But you said it has had like 30,000 miles on it since you bought it, that does seem like a long time. Has anyone else driven your car? Service people, car wash people, vallet drivers, et cetera?

Keep on top of it and see what Honda is willing to do, they most definitely will try to blaim a cracked retainer on an over-rev.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Jul 13 2006, 06:08 PM
A cracked retainer is almost always from an over-rev. To my knoweldge, once the car begins showing problems it means damage beyond the retainer has occured (meaning the retainer dropped the valve), but I could be wrong.
That actually sounds really familiar. The retainer hasn't dropped the valve. I remember the tech telling me that if it was worse it would have.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:11 PM

Only me and every now and then service people.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Moving to UTH for more input (from S2000 Talk)...

-- chaz
Old 07-14-2006, 03:14 AM

thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 11:02 AM

I went to the dealership again today. I was with the tech as he called Honda Care to report the claim. The tech said that he has no reason to believe that it was abuse. He was asked to look for any modifications that could signify racing of the car. They asked if the tires had any signs of being raced on. Honda Care asked the tech to check the wheel wells of the car to see if it has been raced. They checked for aftermarket suspension, braces and any other type of mod to maybe show it is being used for racing. The annoying thing is, I have a carbon fiber hood on my car. It was a gift from my brother. So that looks really really bad in my opinion. I had to authorize a tear down of the head for them to see if they can find signs of abuse. I'm not sure what they will be looking for since the retainers being damaged were enough to deny my claim and say it was abuse. What would be definate proof of abuse, and what would be arguable? I'm not educated at all when it comes to this and could really use some advice.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I'm pretty confident that the car has been over-revved. I believe the car to be able to withstand regular driving at redline. I belive that the only reason these retainers break is because an over-rev.

I don't believe that an over rev that occured years ago could hide for this long.

All of what I believe supports Honda Care's insistance that this is an over-rev issue and should not be covered.

Now, all of that aside, it's really lame of Honda Care to look for signs of racing. IT'S A SPORTSCAR. Honda Care is crap.

Man up an pay to have new retainers and keepers installed and while you're at it make sure the cylinder bores are clean from any kind of damage.

Good luck as I think Honda Care is in the right for denying you coverage.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by glagola1,Jul 14 2006, 12:34 PM
Man up an pay to have new retainers and keepers installed and while you're at it make sure the cylinder bores are clean from any kind of damage.
I agree with this, but I disagree that you should just accept it as not being covered due to "abuse". There is no justification for finding "signs of racing" (whatever that is) and denying the claim. It's either an overrev or it's not. "Signs of racing" have nothing to do with whether or not it was actually an overrev.

It is unlikely but not impossible that something other than an overrev (manufacturing error? assembly error?) caused the problem. If it is a single retainer or even a pair of them on the same cylinder, I would argue that unless they have proof (ECU-stored redline, etc.) then they should "man up" and cover it.

If they find cracked retainers all up and down the engine, you should expect them to say with some justification that it was an overrev (even if you know you didn't do it yourself).

Frankly, this is why I don't have one of those extended warranties on my car.

Quick Reply: Broken Retainer clips...