S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken oil cap

Old 09-06-2020, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not the most mechanically inclined,b if the valve cover is easy to remove I'll probably give that a shot.
Here's some pictures

Old 09-06-2020, 11:53 AM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

It is just that one little piece of plastic cap overlapping the metal upper rim that is putting tension on the cap, it is the part at the top of the picture. If you were to chip that overlap piece off the cap should come loose as there should not be any tension remaining on the cap once all of the top is off. Fill the hole with a towel and chip away at the edge, or bang away with a chisel and hammer in the loosening direction to spin it out.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Fengstar
Thanks for the quick replies!
Where can I buy the kind of rubber stopper for this application? Does any auto store like pep boys have it?

And for the chisel solution, isn't it risky since part of it can break off into the engine? Or am I understanding it wrong?
I can try to hammer a screwdriver in the loosening direction but before I do that thought I'd make sure haha.
Measure the inner diameter of the remaining threaded part, in cover.

1 to 2 inch diameter rubber stoppers. 1 to 2 inch diameter rubber stoppers.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:46 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

If its me I think I would put a towel or stopper in there and give it a gentle shot with a chisel or a screw driver. I emphasize gentle. Maybe even squirt a little WD40 around the edges and let it sit a while to help lubricate the threads. If that fails, then I would pull the cover. I think it is odd that the cap broke like that and it makes me think that the threads of that cap may be stuck in the cover more than normal. Normally the threads turn easily and it is the gasket that get compressed and stuck on there. Then again, zeroptzero may be right that that one spot is stuck hard and holding it from turning. But, if you try to turn it with a screw driver or chisel you will find out pretty quickly if it is going to come out in that fashion.

If you are not a DIY type of person, no tools etc., pulling the cover will not seem all that easy to you. The folks who are commenting here all have a lot of experience working on cars, so it is not a difficult thing for us, we have all done it many times. If you do work on your car yourself, and have some basic tools, you can do it. Here is a video that shows what I have found is the best/easiest way to pull the cover off:

Last edited by rpg51; 09-07-2020 at 04:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by rpg51
If its me I think I would put a towel or stopper in there and give it a gentle shot with a chisel or a screw driver. I emphasize gentle. Maybe even squirt a little WD40 around the edges and let it sit a while to help lubricate the threads. If that fails, then I would pull the cover. I think it is odd that the cap broke like that and it makes me think that the threads of that cap may be stuck in the cover more than normal. Normally the threads turn easily and it is the gasket that get compressed and stuck on there. Then again, zeroptzero may be right that that one spot is stuck hard and holding it from turning. But, if you try to turn it with a screw driver or chisel you will find out pretty quickly if it is going to come out in that fashion.
I am also not a fan of removing the valve cover and exposing the valve train to potential doo-dads falling into it. I know a proper sized rubber stopper should work. I've used them to retrieve broken oil caps in several cars. Including my Honda Element --- funny how Honda cars seem to break or lose oil caps.

Just gently tap the stopper into the remaining part of the cap. Hand twist both out of the cover.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:46 PM

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,040 Posts

You can also use a piece of wood. Say a 2X4 that you have cut at a gentle angle to fit into the space. Gentle taping to achieve a snug fit and then twist it out.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 03:58 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You can also use a piece of wood. Say a 2X4 that you have cut at a gentle angle to fit into the space. Gentle taping to achieve a snug fit and then twist it out.
Yeah, if you look around the shop you should be able to find something that will help remove the broken piece of cap. Using a screwdriver or sharp tool to tap onto the remaining part may not be the best idea. The brittle plastic could chip and parts fall into the valve train. Then, you will have to remove the cover.

Last edited by windhund116; 09-07-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:45 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

OP - make sure to report back when you get this resolved.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the silence! I finally got around to fixing it. All I had to do was jam a towel into the hole and twist a little, the piece inside came out like nothing. Dealer quoted me $25 for a replacement and I had to wait over a week, so I picked one up at my local car parts store for 8 bucks. Here's a few pictures.

thanks for all the help!
Old 09-13-2020, 04:41 AM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

'That is a much different rubber gasket on that aftermarket oil cap, I guess it might work.

The OEM cap has a raised rubber ring on the gasket to maintain tension on the cap so it doesn't loosen up while driving. Keep an eye on it the first while so it doesn't loosen up on you. The reason your oem cap likely broke is because the raised rubber ring on the gasket had worn down and it was being overtightened in order for the cap to stay in place.

Quick Reply: Broken oil cap