S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken Lug nuts/studs! Close encounter

Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Lug nuts/studs! Close encounter

Alright, I have yet to introduce myself to the forum so here it goes.

"Hi my name is Jordan, I recently bought a 2000 Honda s2000 silverstone metallic w/ red interior."

Now that that's out of the way, I ran into an easy fix but big issue the other day. I bought the car about a month ago and noticed it had a snapped lug nut on the front wheel. I was planning on fixing it soon but the other day I was late to school. This inspired me to drive like Emerson Fittipaldi because I had a paper due. I take a turn a little too hard and I immediately knew something was wrong with one of my wheels. So I pulled over as soon as I knew something was up, got out of the car and noticed the wheel was now only being held by a single lug nut. 20 more feet and it would've came off, no doubt (We had to keep pushing the wheel in just to get it on the tow truck) I got it towed back to my house and now it's on jack stands. It could've been a lot worse but it's also something that could've been completely avoided...

I've searched the topic and didn't see anything quite as gruesome as my case. So my question is; since it was violently torn off, is it necessary to buy a new hub or should I just stick replacing the lug studs?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 PM

certainly should have been avoided dude....welcome.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

hub should be okay, just need new studs where they are damaged/broke, unless there is some other damage we dont' know about.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Just curious, do you have factory wheels and factory lug nuts?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Alright, do you think I should get them through a honda dealer, off the internet, or somewhere else?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 PM

one snapped nut going to 4 snapped...errr might wanna run through all your nuts and lugs..
Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 AM

Everything is factory. I'm thinking that the last lug stud that was standing must have had a ton of stress on it, judging by how hard it was to roll it on the tow truck. I will most likely go and buy 5 new nuts and 5 new lug studs to be on the safe side, but I don't know where I should get them from.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I suggest you check the other lugs front and rear.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:07 PM

I've been working on it and got it down to the hub. I started to start knocking out the studs and I noticed that they are too long to fit out the back. Obviously, I have to get the hub out, which means new wheel bearing. But here is another question if anyone knows it.

Is it really necessary to remove the knuckle and everything too? I would like to stay away from buying that notoriously expensive "ball-joint remover" tool.

I would just like to get the hub out and, if anything, take it to get it pressed.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by j2damilla,Nov 7 2010, 07:07 PM
I've been working on it and got it down to the hub. I started to start knocking out the studs and I noticed that they are too long to fit out the back. Obviously, I have to get the hub out, which means new wheel bearing. But here is another question if anyone knows it.

Is it really necessary to remove the knuckle and everything too? I would like to stay away from buying that notoriously expensive "ball-joint remover" tool.

I would just like to get the hub out and, if anything, take it to get it pressed.
Today while I was working under my car I noticed that the ball joint is in its own separate part of the knuckle that can be unbolted from the rest of the knuckle, just like on a Toyota Tacoma. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Broken Lug nuts/studs! Close encounter