S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken Bracket and more..

Old 11-16-2001, 08:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RT has the right answer.. the harmonic issue must be addressed, making stronger brackets is treating the symptom. But if you are making brackets I have been told that T3 aluminum rather than T6 would be much less susceptible to cracking.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had to replace the vtech bracket . Mine actually had a crack
then it broke . But Mike at Comptech replaced it no problem they
are pretty good in standing behind their product .
Old 11-16-2001, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Fastlane
I also had to replace the vtech bracket . Mine actually had a crack
then it broke . But Mike at Comptech replaced it no problem they
are pretty good in standing behind their product .
yes, but how long can this last? replacing stuff is not the answer, is it? any kind of damper being considered?
Old 11-17-2001, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Fastlane
.... they are pretty good in standing behind their product .
Yes, but will they stand underneath it?
Old 11-17-2001, 04:52 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Though why is this thing still in production with this cracking still going on?! I am amazed that they can produce a product that they know they have problems with and have not fixed it!!!

Yes they will replace the broken part but how long do you want to keep replacing this part!!!
Old 11-17-2001, 06:36 AM

Maybe they should just make a forged Al part.
Old 11-17-2001, 01:35 PM

you know I wonder if the vortech brackets will crack.....

now that will be funny. If so, I guess its time for either a turbo,...where the turbo manifold has a CHANCE to crack ..haha.
or go for a roots style blower.
Old 11-17-2001, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colombino, I have broken my front plate numerous times. Twice it has broken where the VTEC bracket was hanging on to nothing but air. There was an inch wide section of the front plate that was missing. Both times the missing piece of the front plate was in the exact same spot. It sounds like this is what happened to you. The only thing holding the front plate on the VTEC side was the spacer bracket. The round lower mount bracket. This particular bracket has never failed until now on my car. Dave and I have broken multiple brackets, cracks and fissures in our front plate and even shredded a blower belt. My most recent problem is the spacer bracket on the VTEC side, the bolt sheared and I believe caused the front plate to fail once again. I have removed my blower belt because I didn't want anything else to fail until Comptech has had a chance to check it out. Prior to the new design that Dave and I have, my car was load cell tested on all mounting points and brackets. They had my car for a week, I will be leaving my car with them for another week to do some more testing. Hopefully we will get this resolved.

Pinky - Comptech is working on this issue. Dave and I have been beta testing new setups. Yes I agree this is something that should have been addressed prior to shipping the product but as far as they knew all was good. Their car did not experience any bracket failures until after Dave and I had our problems. Even to this day, it has been said only a handful of people have had this problem. Driveability wise it is fine. In fact, as soon as the brackets fail the shifter no longer vibrates like it did. That is how I tell if I potentially have a failed bracket. It runs smoother with a failed bracket then it does with everything intact.

Chris/RT - you guys are 100% correct. Regardless of how beefy the brackets are the harmonic will seek out the weakest link. The harmonic needs to be found and eliminated.

UTAH - I would be more than happy to send you a failed bracket but so far Comptech has kept all of the failed brackets so we did not have any to send to you for analysis.

Well it is off to Comptech next week....
Old 11-17-2001, 08:34 PM

I imagine the reason why some people crack and some don't has to be different vibration. It could be the driving habits (see other thread) but it could also be fundamental differences in engine vibration between those different cars. That could be as simple, and frustrating, as Honda's manufacturing tolerances.

Seems to me Comptech has to put some accelerometers on "good" and "bad" car brackets and detect the killer vibration. If they knew the frequency they could at least be more intelligent about redesigning to avoid a resonance or reduce engine vibes.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penforhire
[B]I imagine the reason why some people crack and some don't has to be different vibration.

Quick Reply: Broken Bracket and more..