S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broken Bracket and more..

Old 11-15-2001, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Bracket and more..

While I know this has been a problem with the Comptech SC. I have not seen too many people with my specific malfunction and would like to bring it to your attention. While doing a routine check under the hood I noticed that the bracket holding the SC on the passanger side was cracked. And to make it even more rare, it was cracked one the wrong side. It cracked on the side that was connected to the main mounting plate. AND it broke off a piece of the main mounting plate when it came off. Yes it broke completely off.

I let Comptech know about it yesterday and I'll keep you posted on what they say.

In the mean time, has this happened to anyone out there? I didn't see one of this nature when I did my search, but maybe they felt shy about being different . If so, please let me know the result of your battle with Comptech on getting the part replaced, etc.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2001, 11:20 AM

Colombino, This is not an uncommon type of break... At least for me and SilverSurfer. He and I have been able to repeatedly and reliably break brackets and plates in various ways. Comptech has been working with us over the last several months to get this problem resolved and progress is being made. However, SS apperears to have cracked his new mounting setup, though he and I think its due to the failure of a previously stressed part that was not replaced in our last visit to Comptech.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:56 AM

Do you guys still not have pictures of the breaks/cracks (non close-up), I still don't know where to be inspecting my brackets.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:56 AM

This whole bracket thing is pretty weird. I have yet to see any cracks/breaks in my brackets and it appears only a few people are seeing this, some of them repeatedly.

Dave or SS or MikeB at Comptech, any update on what is going on here?

BTW, I rarely check my brackets, pretty much only when I read about someone else's cracking and I get paranoid about mine.

Colombino, you don't have the ghostbooster, do you?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:37 PM

Wesmaster, I think the only pictures I have are the closeups from along time ago that you hint at. For a setup like yours the thing to look for is a crack in the alternator bracket(between alternator and the front plate) near the bolt that holds the bracket to the alternator.

Rocketman, I agree completely with you about how weird this whole thing is. There has got to be something different about our cars that causes this repeated failure. The kits being shipped now are different in a couple of ways than the kits you and Wes recieved. There is now a 4th bracket that connects the front of the snail to the plate where the alternator bracket mounts to the plate. The VTEC bracket is now beefier as well.

The setup that Keith and I are currently running is significantly different than any other out there. And so far for me atleast it seems to be working great. Keith recently had a failure with the bottom bracket but I believe this to be due to repeated stress from previous failures of the other brackets. The bracket in question has never been replaced or failed before. I should be in the same boat as Keith but so far so good for my setup.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:28 PM

I am on my second alternator bracket... and it too is starting to crack...

As soon as I find a garage for my car, the bracket will be going back...
Old 11-15-2001, 08:19 PM

In reply to a previous post, I don't have the Ghostbooster.

Wes, if you want to check out some good pics of the brackets, go to the Comptech website and download the installation for the SC.

Basically I guess there are three brackets. Two on the passenger side and one on the driver side. The one on the driver side is the one commonly known as the alternator bracket because it is located just above the car's alternator. All three brackets look like little arms that connect the main mounting plate to various parts. The one that broke in my car was the top bracket on the passenger side. And it broke right at the mounting plate taking a piece of it with.

If you take a look at Step 12 in the installation you can see a side view of the bracket that broke on my car. At the very bottom of that picture is the second bracket on the passenger side, it look like a little metal tube with a bolt connecting it to the mounting plate.

Step 6 shows a great picture of the alternator bracket before it is connected to the mounting plate. You can see the oval opening where the bolt goes and most of the cracks appear.

Step 10 has a good top down shot of both top brackets. The tube looking bracket is concealed.

I apologize for not being able to post the pics here. I couldn't get the pictures off of the adobe acrobat file. You'll just have to download the file and have a look for yourself.
Old 11-16-2001, 03:52 PM

not an expert on titanium, however,..I was under the impression that is it extremely durable.

so perhaps, comptech should look into titanium brackets???

most likely too expensive for production costs.

hm...
Old 11-16-2001, 05:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My previous offers still stands..........

Thank you for providing this entertaining thread to those of us who can tell in a few hours exactly what the problem is but have yet to be provided a bracket or other failed component?

P.S. While titanium is very strong for it's weight the fix for this failure mode will not be ascertained until it is determined weather the failure mode is fatigue, tensile, compression, or just plain bad material. This determination can only be made with a failed component.

Utah
Old 11-16-2001, 05:46 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Bob, no real mystery here, the thing is simply shaking itself along with the rest of the car to DEATH. Kinda reminds me of a chesseball Motel vibro-bed. Got any quarters?

Quick Reply: Broken Bracket and more..