S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Broke my axles....

Old 06-11-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke my axles....

The other day I broke my rear axles when I launched my car.
Once I got the car home and jacked up I relized there was a lot of play in both rear wheels. On both sides I could wiggle my wheel in any direction b-4 I took the axles out. Once I got the wheels off I checked to see how much play was in the rotor and it was a lot but hitting the break pads. So I removed the calipers and could touch the rotor to the black shield. there is over 1/4 inch of play with the calipers off.

I am thinking it is the wheel bearings but then again it could be the hub assm from the back I can see the whole bearing and hub moving as one inside that cast piece that they are pressed into.

Does anyone have any experience with wheel bearings and the hub assm.????? Im not sure if I should replace both or not. What would create that play????

I have heard about wheel bearing making noise but the car is not driveable so I dont know

Thanks Kenny
Old 06-12-2005, 08:33 AM

Bump anyone know what causes play in rear wheels???????
Old 06-12-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

First off...where did you break the axles? In the hub?

The axle, and axle nut is what holds the bearing clearance at a predetermined setting. If you break the axle at the outer splines, the inner races can shift and cause play.

So basically, once your new axles are installed and tight, your problem will go away
Old 06-12-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by billman250,Jun 12 2005, 01:50 PM
First off...where did you break the axles? In the hub?

The axle, and axle nut is what holds the bearing clearance at a predetermined setting. If you break the axle at the outer splines, the inner races can shift and cause play.

So basically, once your new axles are installed and tight, your problem will go away
I broke the axle right where it goes into the hub.....

About the play....... That is what I was thinking........But my passanger side axle broke into 2 pieces but the drivers side was just cracked but was still connected pretty well. I had play in the drivers side wheel with the axle still all bolted in. there is play in and out,......And up, down,left, and right. You can see the outer race of the bearing moving inside the knuckle ..... There is a lot more play on the side that actually broke the axle (passanger side). Where the hub is pressed into the bearing there is no movement between the 2. When I spin the hub, it spins very free with no clunking or grinding feeling.

This photo shows where the play is. Right above my finger in the grove. where the outside race or the bearing meets the knuckle

These show my axles passanger side then drivers side

Old 06-12-2005, 06:23 PM

It's going to be hard to decide what you say is moving. The part that is in contact with the knuckle should not move. If it does, you need a new knuckle.

I'd install a new axle shaft in the hub only and tighten it. It's the only way to see if the bearings have play or not.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by billman250,Jun 12 2005, 10:23 PM
It's going to be hard to decide what you say is moving. The part that is in contact with the knuckle should not move. If it does, you need a new knuckle.

I'd install a new axle shaft in the hub only and tighten it. It's the only way to see if the bearings have play or not.
The part that is moving is in the first pic, the first shiny ring that is closest to my finger tip. Everything above that point is all solid together. That whole bearing and hub move as one inside the knuckle. If you look close at the first pic you can see there is space near my finger where the bearing ends. I can make a small video of the movement tomorrow if that my help. If that "shiny ring" i'm talking about is the outer most part of the bearing then I would have to say that the knuckle got streached........Is that possible?????
Old 06-13-2005, 08:49 AM

If I'm getting you right, you may have locked up the bearing, then spun it in the housing, ruining the knuckle.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by billman250,Jun 13 2005, 12:49 PM
If I'm getting you right, you may have locked up the bearing, then spun it in the housing, ruining the knuckle.
Now that makes sense to me........ Once I get the bearings pressed out will I be able to see if I need a new knuckle???????? What should I look for????? I'm about to go to a machine shop and see what happens then when I figure out what is bad I will order the parts.
Thanks again Bill for all the help lately......Maybe one day I will make it to your shop.....
Kenny
Old 06-13-2005, 10:26 PM

ken how did you launch? did you use the handbrake?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad has been fixing cars for over 25 yrs and he said he has never seen somthing happen to a axle like that, how the heck are you launching your car?

Quick Reply: Broke my axles....