S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bringing My AP1 Back to Life

Old 05-15-2020, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing My AP1 Back to Life

Alright guys I haven’t been on here in a long time, and I’m trying to get my s2000 back to 100%. Here is the rundown, I took my car to InlinePro in 2017 with 99k to get my head rebuilt due to low compression with bent intake valves. They did the following:
-Installed used F22C cylinder head, intake valve set, exhaust valve set, springs, retainers, and bases
-New AP2 OEM keeper set
-New valve guide seal set
-Clean, inspect, hot tank, soda blast, install valves, springs/retainers, bases, keepers, and seals on used AP2 cylinder head
-New OEM headgasket
-InlinePro TCT modification
-Valve adjustment

The car starting having trouble again at 134k, I am dealing with low compression once again on cylinder 1, never mis shifted the car and always change the oil regularly. The car currently shows misfires on all cylinders, and has a rough idle. When driving and coming to a stop putting the car in neutral, the RPMs will drop down and the car will shut off. Constantly have to restart the car at every stoplight unless I give it some throttle to prevent it from shutting off. I am going to post every step I do to the car from here on out and hopefully get the car back up and running at 100% like an S2000 should

Old 05-15-2020, 03:33 PM

To try to fix the idle shutting off issue so I can drive the car to my Honda mechanic without shutting off at every stoplight, I cleaned the IACV and made sure it can spin freely.

I took out my MAP sensor and used some MAF cleaner, resecured with zip tie.

I also cleaned out the throttle body butterfly with some carb cleaner, although I will have to fill remove it to get inside the manifold since there was a ton of carbon in there

before clean

I did the idle relearn procedure by starting the car with all electronics off and holding the RPMs at 3000 until the engine got to operating temp then letting it idle for 15 mins. If I give the car a rev, the RPMs still drop down and the car just shuts off without holding idle.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:19 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmgem
To try to fix the idle shutting off issue so I can drive the car to my Honda mechanic without shutting off at every stoplight, I cleaned the IACV and made sure it can spin freely.

I took out my MAP sensor and used some MAF cleaner, resecured with zip tie.

I also cleaned out the throttle body butterfly with some carb cleaner, although I will have to fill remove it to get inside the manifold since there was a ton of carbon in there

before clean

I did the idle relearn procedure by starting the car with all electronics off and holding the RPMs at 3000 until the engine got to operating temp then letting it idle for 15 mins. If I give the car a rev, the RPMs still drop down and the car just shuts off without holding idle.
15minutes!? I think that's excessive and there might be an underlying issue.

Idle relearn procedure should be be 5minutes on a warm motor.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:15 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Alright guys I haven’t been on here in a long time, and I’m trying to get my s2000 back to 100%. Here is the rundown, I took my car to InlinePro in 2017 with 99k to get my head rebuilt due to low compression with bent intake valves. They did the following:
-Installed used F22C cylinder head, intake valve set, exhaust valve set, springs, retainers, and bases
-New AP2 OEM keeper set
-New valve guide seal set
-Clean, inspect, hot tank, soda blast, install valves, springs/retainers, bases, keepers, and seals on used AP2 cylinder head
-New OEM headgasket
-InlinePro TCT modification
-Valve adjustment

The car starting having trouble again at 134k, I am dealing with low compression once again on cylinder 1, never mis shifted the car and always change the oil regularly. The car currently shows misfires on all cylinders, and has a rough idle. When driving and coming to a stop putting the car in neutral, the RPMs will drop down and the car will shut off. Constantly have to restart the car at every stoplight unless I give it some throttle to prevent it from shutting off. I am going to post every step I do to the car from here on out and hopefully get the car back up and running at 100% like an S2000 should
if i'm not mistaken, don't exhaust valves bend before intake valves on a misshift? did you misshift to cause the bent intake valves the first time?

have pulled codes and diagnosed the misfire? maybe it is your coils?

can you quantify the low compression in cylinder 1?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
if i'm not mistaken, don't exhaust valves bend before intake valves on a misshift? did you misshift to cause the bent intake valves the first time?

have pulled codes and diagnosed the misfire? maybe it is your coils?

can you quantify the low compression in cylinder 1?
I purchased the car in 2017 and a few months later the CEL came on, unfortunately it already had bent intake valves from the previous owner. I replaced the coils about 30k a go with new coils. It’s showing misfire on all cylinders, will perform leakdown and compression tomorrow
Old 05-22-2020, 08:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Your profile says you are in Virginia...if that's the case PM user Billman250, setup an appointment and get your car to him.
Then enjoy worry free driving for the life of your vehicle.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by hand banana
Your profile says you are in Virginia...if that's the case PM user Billman250, setup an appointment and get your car to him.
Then enjoy worry free driving for the life of your vehicle.
Yes I’m located in Northern VA. I believe Billman is in NY? Based on my leakdown results tomorrow I’ll give him a PM
Old 05-22-2020, 08:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes I’m located in Northern VA. I believe Billman is in NY? Based on my leakdown results tomorrow I’ll give him a PM
Yes hes on the east end of Long Island, 100% worth it.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hand banana
Yes hes on the east end of Long Island, 100% worth it.
I am in central Texas and if there is something that I cannot do on my S2000 I would get my car to Billman. Yes, really!
Old 05-23-2020, 03:44 PM

So we did a compression test earlier today.
cylinder 1- 160
cylinder 2- 60
cylinder 3- 160
cylinder 4- 160

Did a leakdown on cylinder 2 and it’s around 16psi leakdown

My mechanic is telling me it’s a dead cylinder and rings are the culprit. Note that the car has not been burning any oil, and no smoke coming out the exhaust. I’m waiting on a rebuild list from him, and would like to hear of some rebuild lists/kits from you guys as well

Quick Reply: Bringing My AP1 Back to Life