S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Briefly Flashing CEL - now cyl 2 misfire

Old 04-16-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Ngk plugs are check the gap
Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

I ended up snapping one of the bolts that holds the coil pack in (20 minutes after Honda closed of course) and I got those swapped, plugs retorqued and drove it for about an hour today and no sign of any misfire, been running fine all day. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this with mine - all of the bright sparks (oops unintentional bad pun - I'll leave it in to make you wince) tell me that injectors never fail, but in the end I checked mine myself (borrowed a rig). One of them was very slightly down on flow and hosing at high speed operation only - enough to bring on the honda mil and misfire - code read cyclinder misfire and followed the injector when I moved it.

Symptom was a basket cse because I had to drive the car in between diagnostics - I think the ECU didn't pick it up until well into the drive cycle (though wide open throttle seemed to bring it on quickest.

Drive cycle symptom was flashing mil followed by continous on mil (with rough idle and very slight lack of power).

The other advice is good - I too ran through 3 sets of plugs, moved all the coil packs etc. I've just never seen a partial failure on an injector before (they either work or they don't as a rule for petrol engines).

My guess is that these hondas are very sensitive to correct fuel atomisation. Not a big surprise - they do deliver good power. the good news is the ECU is very good at telling you which cylinde is misfiring...
Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having the same issue with mine right now, flashing CEL shortly then solid CEL with stumbling idle, Random misfire. I have read in shop manual that flashing CEL in this case is due to possible damage to catalytic converter with continued misfires at current frequency of occurence. Luckily I have my test pipe installed at this time. I also have four new injectors on the way from Majestic scheduled to arrive on Monday. I have already done valve adjustment, replaced all four coil packs and new spark plugs properly gapped, cleaned IAC valve and replaced it's gasket, did compression test (all in 230-240# range). Once RPM's are above about 2500 RPM it runs great. I will keep you posted on results.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM

My main issue right now is that it won't misfire, I'd much prefer it to give me something to work on so I can actually get it fixed, it's been absolutely 100% since yesterday morning. For me I haven't felt much more than a brief stumble and that was only once for twice, I think I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see what it does.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intermittent problems are the worst to try and find and fix. Good luck. I am still chasing my issue even though my CEL stays on and stumbling idle continues....come on Monday!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM

Another misfire free week ended, VSA, "!" and CEL back on on the way home tonight, unfortunately it's cyl 2 again so we can pretty much rule out ignition coils. I know I should have but I didn't gap the plugs when I installed them, I'm going to swap 2 and 3 tonight and see if that might be what it is.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by maranelloboy05
Another misfire free week ended, VSA, "!" and CEL back on on the way home tonight, unfortunately it's cyl 2 again so we can pretty much rule out ignition coils. I know I should have but I didn't gap the plugs when I installed them, I'm going to swap 2 and 3 tonight and see if that might be what it is.
You didn't gap your plugs and wondering why you have a misfire...am I missing something? Did you at least check the gap before installation?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, the OEM NGKs come pregapped (still a good idea to check before install). I would say the next step would be to check the valve clearances.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by FISH22
Well, the OEM NGKs come pregapped (still a good idea to check before install). I would say the next step would be to check the valve clearances.
They come pregapped, but why not have the peace of mind for such a crucial item, the gap can easily close up if the plug is dropped,mishandled along the way.

Quick Reply: Briefly Flashing CEL - now cyl 2 misfire