S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Breaking-in new engine

Old 08-04-2006, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Breaking-in new engine

I've searched and read the few existing threads on this subject, and it seems that s2ki is divided into two camps:

1) People who follow Honda [don't open VTEC at all -- I read here on the forums that someone spoke to a factory engineer who said that the break-in oil is good for ~7000miles]

2) People who follow "Motoman" [may open VTEC, not necessarily redline but enough to put pressure on seals (60% of redline?) + "the first 20 minutes" concept -- changing oil+oil filter after first 30-40 miles]

I'm in the process of getting my S, and I'm absolutely puzzled as to what I'll do to break her in. Should I use the Honda method, or the Motoman method? I don't want my engine to be a oil-guzzling leaky whore in 10k miles.

Should I change the oil filter after the first 40 miles? It makes sense that small scraps of aliminum may escape the oil filter's wrath and become embedded into various parts of the engine... but then again I feel very awkward about taking a 40 mile car to be "touched" or have anything on it changed.

Never in those threads do people come to a conclusion... I don't expect us to find one either, but extra discussion can't hurt.

Oh, and one guy had said "I know people who've used both methods and have had no problems."

But doesn't anyone know anyone who have used one of the above methods and had engine-related problems? What sort of problems do the 2 camps face? Are they manfuacturers problems or related completely with the break-in method used?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Even if engine trouble could be linked to the "Motoman" break-in, I think not one person would admit that it caused a problem.

Personally I did not need any break-in, my car had 83000 km on it when I bought it.
If I had to break-in a new S2000 I think I would follow Honda.
Those FRM (Fibre Reinforced Metal) cylinder walls are something different then your "average" chrome cylinder walls.
That is enough difference for me to follow Honda on break-in.

I have posted simular responses on other posts about this and NOT ONCE did anyone reply about that major difference in cylinder walls.
Maybe every one is in denial?

Old 08-04-2006, 03:49 AM

What I did with mine was "sort of" a combination of the two. One thing that both sides tend to agree with is that you should vary engine load and speed during the break-in period. I tried to do that as much as possible, taking back roads and streets that would allow me to row the gears a bit more than the direct route would have. Once or twice a day, traffic permitting, I'd do a full or near full throttle acceleration in second or third gear up to a maximum of Honda's recommended limit of 5500 rpm. I can't prove one way or the other whether or not this helped or hurt the engine in the long run but in just over 31k miles, I had absolutely no issues with it. In that time, I only added 1 quart of oil and that was a half quart at a time while on vacation.

FWIW!
Good luck and enjoy the new ride!
Steve R.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:34 AM

SpitfireS: Someone in the previous thread also underlined the difference between the the cylinder walls. I'm going to do some research about the difference and see what I can come up with.

Inrepid175: This is exactly what I've been planning to do. Someone had commented earlier that Lotus recommends not exceeding 60% of the rev limit during break-in, and of course varying speed/gears -- 60% of 9000 = 5,400 rpm (I'm getting an EDM, still 2.0L). This approach seems to have the most credibility from both arguments.

Okay, so I'll vary speed/gears up to 5,500 rpm for the first 1000-1500 miles or so.

What about the oil filter and engine oil?

Edit: thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're buying a new honda. It's foolish to do anything other than honda recommended break-in. Honda's spent millions in engine development why would you even consider someone elses opinion?

When I rebuilt my own motor, I followed the "run it like you stole it" school of engine break-in. I just ran the hell out of it from the get go. The only thing that really needs break-in is the rings (and cams to a lesser extent) and with today's bores and rings, they're typically done breaking in after 20 minutes of running. My engine doesn't use a drop of oil.

BUT, if I bought a new honda today, I'd do what honda tells me. They're the experts. All the internet opinions aren't worth a damn compared to the millions Honda's spent researching this whole process.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ek9 Posted on Aug 4 2006, 04:26 PM
When I rebuilt my own motor, I followed the "run it like you stole it" school of engine break-in. I just ran the hell out of it from the get go. The only thing that really needs break-in is the rings (and cams to a lesser extent) and with today's bores and rings, they're typically done breaking in after 20 minutes of running. My engine doesn't use a drop of oil.
Are we talking about a F20C or a F22C engine here?

One would expect to rebuild an engine according to engine makers specifications, right?
So a rebuild engine is no different then a new engine.
Depending on what one determines as a "rebuild".
New spark plugs?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I basically followed Honda instruction, but drove a little more aggressive then the average driver, just not engaging V-Tec.

Honda says that car should be broken in after 600 miles. Before 600, I stayed outta V-Tec (Boy was that hard as f**k!) But after 600, I got into V-Tec for limited amounts of time, no redlining at all.

I'm of the school of the 1K break in period. After I hit 1k, I started to push it into V-Tec more, and farther up the RPM ladder, but still have not redlined.....

All in all, my baby feels GREAT!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 07:55 AM

Here we go again...
Old 08-04-2006, 08:21 AM

I'm with UCrazyKid here.

Let's not make this the exact same as the other break-in threads.

Does anyone have any thoughts on changing the engine oil and oil filter after 40 miles?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by brimstone,Aug 4 2006, 06:34 AM
Okay, so I'll vary speed/gears up to 5,500 rpm for the first 1000-1500 miles or so.

What about the oil filter and engine oil?

Edit: thanks
Actually, Honda only recommends worrying about the break-in routine until 600 miles. I was VTECing to redline at 602! What a rush for someone who's never experienced that before. I've never driven a vehicle short of a liter class motorcycle that would head for redline that fast! If you want to wait to the 1000-1500 mile point, that's Ok too but I don't think it's necessary.

As for the oil change, I tried to get the first one done at the 3,750 that the manual recommends for hard useage. It's normally hot enough around here in the summer time (I bought my car in June) to qualify for what Honda defined as hard useage. My dealer refused to do it. They said the "break-in oil," something I've always been a little dubious about, needed to stay in the engine till 5000 miles. I said, "Ooooo-kaaayyyy" and went about my business. We did it at 5000 and then reverted to the 3,750 intervals after that and, as I said before, had absolutely no problems with the engine.

If nothing else, stick to what the maintenance schedule in the owners manual says. You can't go wrong with that.

Good luck & Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Edit: Your welcome!