S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Breaking into the trunk.........

Old 10-17-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Breaking into the trunk.........

So to get users up to speed -

I bought a used CR trunk from a guy that is ~3 hours away, did the swap and I stupidly closed the trunk without connecting the electrical bits and hadn't swapped key cylinders yet. I've done some searching and have found what I think are the only viable ways to get into it.

1) Expand soft top, remove upper and lower rear tray pieces, move spare tire to the side, use skinny arms + broom handle or similar to hit emergency release lever

2) Get VIN (already asked, just waiting for the response) go to Honda, pray the parts guy is awesome and cuts me a key w/out needing it programmed

3) Drill the **** out of the lock cylinder, stick finger or pliers and pull metal rod (hoping it doesn't fall out/damaged)

4) Call Pop-a-lock (or similar) and see if they can manage to pick the lock

5) ???
Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) If you go with this route, don't forget that you'd have to remove the spare tire cover, which is held in with about 4 clips, I would think it would be hard to remove from behind the cover. You'd also have to painfully contort your body to reach the lever and it would be a major PITA.

I'd get a locksmith to pick the lock, sure you'll have to spend money, but you'll save your self a lot of time and frustration.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive 1.5 hours and ask who sold you the trunk to do the same (offer to pay for the fuel). Get it open and swap the key cylinders on the spot. It will cost less, probably take less time and save you oodles of frustration.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Whats the other guy using for his trunk if you have his "key cylinder"?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:22 PM

that's quite a predicament.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 PM

you're never gonna see the guy or his car again. ask him to copy his key, non-chipped and send it over. 4 bucks at walmart and USPS doesnt take THAT long. pay him over paypal, DONE.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Also, us convertible guys shouldnt even care about an unchipped key cuz they can just cut the roof anyway...
Old 10-17-2010, 09:11 PM

I pulled my rear tray out just yesterday, and if your going to try this you'll need a five yr old kid to squeeze through the gap.

I'd go the lock smith route.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 PM

Cool

#1 Find a Nice lady that is willing to wash your clothes and do your dishes.

#2 Convince her you think she is amazing, and would make a wonderful wife. (Can skip this step if you are like me and not religious)

#3 Procreate without protection

#4 Wait 8-9 months (pre-mature births usually result in smaller children, this could be a benefit to you so don't worry)

#5 Immediately upon birth start with training. Create small crawlspaces and clubhouses with no windows and small amounts of space. (This will help prevent any phobia of enclosed spaces and help enhance night vision)

#6 In the enclosed spaces make glow in the dark T handles that when pulled, distribute candy and toys to the child.

#7 as soon as the child can score a 80% average success rate on the Glowing T Handle pull, Remove rear deck, Unbolt spare tire (If still in holding space) use a broom handle to knock spare cover loose.

#8 Deposit child (Possibly at the age of 1-2years now) into trunk.

#9 Wait patiently outside of trunk with candy for a short time.

#10 PROFIT!

PS: Also, you can use this child for many other tasks including opening Attic vents, running wires under the house, and rent him out to others with locked trunks.

OR

Call a locksmith, and read him your other option....

Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a tunnel behind the passenger seat plastic vent. Pull it out and try to hit the safety release with a rod.

Quick Reply: Breaking into the trunk.........