S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The Break in MYTH

Old 10-17-2003, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PedalFaster
If break-in is a myth, then why would all of the major auto manufacturers, who collectively employ tens of thousands of engineers, continue to perpetuate it?

Steve

I think "continue to perpetuate" is the key part of your question.... and that IS a good question. How come after all these years, all these advances in technology and production that break in procedures have NEVER changed. Why is that? Maybe it is something the lawyers need to have written in the manual rather than the engineers.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:08 PM

My independent Honda mechanic (that worked as an Acura service manager for 10+ years) says that Honda breaks in and tests every engine it produces before the engine is ever installed in a car.

Dunno if that is true, but it may explain the 500 mile rule in the service manual.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:06 PM

Play it safe I guess go with the break in then afterwards drive it like you stole it
Old 10-17-2003, 04:52 PM

the site was designed for motorcycles. his points make sense but im sticking to what honda says. afterall, they know everything about the s2000.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Decepticon
Play it safe I guess go with the break in then afterwards drive it like you stole it
Old 10-17-2003, 05:40 PM

Hear is some info that may answer some of your questions. I have worked with aircraft engines for many years and the basics are the same.

All new engines hate heat. So it is important to not to get too hot.

The next worst thing is to run at a continues RPM and load. An engine will take a set like a battery and like a given RPM best if speed isn't varied.... Secret, don't ever use cruise control for first 1000 miles and don't stay at any set speed for long.

While you don't want to lug the engine, it is best to run a full throttle for short times. This increases the pressure on the rings and causes them to seat and break in properly. Babying the engine in this department is the not a good thing to do, because it will lead to the cylinders glazing over and you will be stuck with an engine that burns excessive amounts of oil with reduced power!!!!!!!!!!

The one thing I can't answer is the high RPM and going to VTECH. This may be a function of getting a glaze, or varnish build up on the wearing parts?

Given all this, it would be best to keep below VTECH for safety, very speed always and use full throttle accelerations from 3500 to 5500 in short durations. Remember that Honda would have done a partial break in already and have probably run to high RPMs during this time.

This is the way I have broken in all of my cars and never had a problem.

One more thing. When in doubt, read the manual.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by kane.s2k
i shift at correct RPM's he doesn't
Then how did you lose? Mabey there is something he knows that you don't. Did he launch harder? What about the tires?

I think there are too many variables to judge if his car is any better due to break-in procedure.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sloppy
The next worst thing is to run at a continues RPM and load. An engine will take a set like a battery and like a given RPM best if speed isn't varied.... Secret, don't ever use cruise control for first 1000 miles and don't stay at any set speed for long.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:16 PM

engine compression braking helps a lot during breakin. the pressure from this process is great for seating the rings.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:53 PM

I'll give my little opinion here... since like A$$holes, everyone has one after all :-)

I had a 2000 Black S2K That I broke in like I did my previous racing motorcycles-- After about 80-100 miles (just to set the seals, and get things used to temp) I drove it like I intended it to be driven. HARD.

Bikes, (or as least as my experience has been) has been Drive it like you want it to perform... Baby it during break in, and it'll last LONG, but produce less power. Drive it like you are going to race it, and it'll produce more power, but last "less".

I 'feel' my '00 was faster than my '02 is simply because of the break in prodecure. Now-- mind you, this is a butt-dyno, so...

But consider this:

An engine is doing one of two things: Breaking In (producing more power as time goes on), or Breaking 'out'... Getting closer to the peak of the curve where max performance (or starting to break out) will give the maximum performance.... but will wear out sooner.

-- Aaron

Quick Reply: The Break in MYTH