S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brands of oils

Old 11-24-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1448357546' post='23811244
So, engine rebuild after 50,000 miles was $6000. Oil changes would have cost me $3000. So, for only $3000 I get a new engine every 50,000 miles. Sounds like a good deal to me!
For 5K miles changes, that comes out to $300 per oil change. Is this the cost of having your oil changed, these days? I've done all oil changes for the last 20 years.
Yep! I live in Beverly Hills
Old 11-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Engine rebuild after 50k miles? Why?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Engine rebuild after 50k miles? Why?
Judging by your screen name, i guess you didn't realize it was a joke
Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by bitslop
That's a bit of a silly statement.

Of course people search, for instance I search all the time (I prefer to search using google, via site:s2ki.com). But if someone searches and finds their answer, they don't post, and so you don't know they searched!
You missed my point. If a majority of people were to search, there wouldn't be 50,000,000 "what oil should I use" threads.

Also...people don't have an incentive to search. The preferred method is:
-Just start a new thread. Provide 0 details. Everyone will chime in with empty opinions and "info".
-Never return to the thread.

So easy to troll that way. I could open up 100 S2ki accounts and post 100 seperate oil threads, and there would be a discussion in each thread about which oil this car absolutely NEEDS. As the OP, I could interject maybe once. Thats all it takes to make 100 seperate threads that go on for pages and pages.

I find it hilarious. I'm sure trolls do too.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You missed my point. If a majority of people were to search, there wouldn't be 50,000,000 "what oil should I use" threads.

Also...people don't have an incentive to search. The preferred method is:
-Just start a new thread. Provide 0 details. Everyone will chime in with empty opinions and "info".
-Never return to the thread.

So easy to troll that way. I could open up 100 S2ki accounts and post 100 seperate oil threads, and there would be a discussion in each thread about which oil this car absolutely NEEDS. As the OP, I could interject maybe once.
I understood what you meant, and was just giving you some good-natured ribbing. But I also had a bit of a broader point as well - the majority of users potentially do search, but the minority that don't can still have a large impact.

And regardless, as someone that does search for info (a lot!), I do appreciate more data rather than less; when there are many threads, the extra anecdotal information is often useful. Sometimes when I find just a couple of relatively old threads, it has less gravitas than multiple threads that are more recent. So I appreciate posters like Car Analogy that are mindful of us searchers and future readers, and I take (very minor) umbrage at efforts to derail and truncate threads that have useful information in them.

Thats all it takes to make 100 seperate threads that go on for pages and pages.

I find it hilarious. I'm sure trolls do too.
The other thing to note--and I say this again gently teasing--is you have posted more to this thread than anyone else
Old 11-24-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

I suspect the vast majority do search. We just never know about, so we have no idea the ratio of searched answers vs new thread on old topic answers.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 11-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Lol...the car doesn't need anything in particular or anything special.

People always just answering with brands of oil that THEY use "with 0 problems". Some claim that if you use something besides their preferred brand, the engine will wear prematurely.

This doesn't help for anyone who is searching for answers.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Nothing wrong with a good discussion.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have to agree with the fact the fact that people who post single points of data and label them as solid evidence that "you won't have an issue" is a major problem this country has as a whole. And I mean MAJOR problem. People find comfort when listening to people that "sound like they know what they're talking about" but the truth is... they don't. They have a single point of data.

Also, their analyses are often completely speculative. "Runs great" could mean "I have a burned valve but I wouldn't know because I don't even know what that is!" or you don't see the thread 5 days later "help I need a used long block for cheap, my motor took a dump!"

An excellent example that comes to mind is riceball's 2.4 stroker build. raving about how well it was done and "zero issues" "tracking all the time." He had several responses in peoples' inquiry threads about stroking F22/F20 and he would always chime in. Then his motor took a complete dump on him... All those threads still exist with his raving about his reliability.

I'm no saint either. I've done this several times, I'm sure. It's just something that hurts the community in my opinion.

Edit: also, my response above has nothing to do with oil, just in general. it's my belief that there's plenty of concrete evidence WITHOUT people's responses on how good their personal oil choice is where all oils almost all oils are completely fine.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
Edit: also, my response above has nothing to do with oil, just in general. it's my belief that there's plenty of concrete evidence WITHOUT people's responses on how good their personal oil choice is where all oils almost all oils are completely fine.
And I guess the converse is true, too. The very best oil can't save an engine put under extreme stress over an extended length of time.

Quick Reply: Brands of oils