S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brands of oils

Old 11-18-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've used Mobil 1 in rear and engine since 2004 and last month compression was 245 over all 4 so Im staying with that. OEM in Trans.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Y'all are talking to yourselves.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:22 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

I like to think I'm talking to all future readers of any thread I respond in. That any response I give will really be of more value to many more people than just the OP and those that have jumped into the thread.

I know that most of the time, in fact, almost all of the time, when I have an issue or question, I can find the answer just by searching this forum. I rarely ever have to create a new thread for something like this.

So whenever I respond in a thread, while I try to make sure I've covered the OP inquiry, I'm really thinking more about the next guy, and all the other guys after, that are gonna stumble into that thread looking for answers.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious
Y'all are talking to yourselves.
Honey... is that you?
Old 11-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I like to think I'm talking to all future readers of any thread I respond in. That any response I give will really be of more value to many more people than just the OP and those that have jumped into the thread.

I know that most of the time, in fact, almost all of the time, when I have an issue or question, I can find the answer just by searching this forum. I rarely ever have to create a new thread for something like this.

So whenever I respond in a thread, while I try to make sure I've covered the OP inquiry, I'm really thinking more about the next guy, and all the other guys after, that are gonna stumble into that thread looking for answers.
Nobody searches. They just start a new thread...and then disappear to leave everyone that replies to jabber on and on about oil like the car NEEDS or responds to something very specific, or that the oil that they are using is the #1 lubricant in the universe. Eventually, there will be an argument.

There could be 50 threads open at once, on the same page asking about "what oil works best with no details. LMK". And people would write novel sized posts on how well their specific oil works.

People just LOVE telling other people about their oil. Which would maybe be a valid discussion if S2000's actually needed special oil. Or if someone posted any concrete evidence that one oil is SO much better than the other.

Everyone has run "years with 0 problems bro" on soooo many different oils.

If someone were to do a search, they would deduce that the car is happy to run on anything you feed it.

They don't search, though, do they? I wonder why.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

There could be 50 threads open at once, on the same page asking about "what oil works best with no details. LMK". And people would write novel sized posts on how well their specific oil works.

People just LOVE telling other people about their oil. Which would maybe be a valid discussion if S2000's actually needed special oil. Or if someone posted any concrete evidence that one oil is SO much better than the other.

Feel this is a product of aggressive and cleaver advertising. Word of mouth and peer pressure.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brand is a matter of personal preference and budget. Following the recommend fluid change interval is more important.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I got so tired of trying to figure what oil to use that I just said screw it!...I just don't deal with it.

So, engine rebuild after 50,000 miles was $6000. Oil changes would have cost me $3000. So, for only $3000 I get a new engine every 50,000 miles. Sounds like a good deal to me!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody searches. They just start a new thread...and then disappear to leave everyone that replies to jabber on and on about oil like the car NEEDS or responds to something very specific, or that the oil that they are using is the #1 lubricant in the universe. Eventually, there will be an argument.

Everyone has run "years with 0 problems bro" on soooo many different oils.

If someone were to do a search, they would deduce that the car is happy to run on anything you feed it.

They don't search, though, do they? I wonder why.

That's a bit of a silly statement.

Of course people search, for instance I search all the time (I prefer to search using google, via site:s2ki.com). But if someone searches and finds their answer, they don't post, and so you don't know they searched!
Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
So, engine rebuild after 50,000 miles was $6000. Oil changes would have cost me $3000. So, for only $3000 I get a new engine every 50,000 miles. Sounds like a good deal to me!
For 5K miles changes, that comes out to $300 per oil change. Is this the cost of having your oil changed, these days? I've done all oil changes for the last 20 years.

Quick Reply: Brands of oils