S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brand New Engine Break In- How to....

Old 09-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Sep 9 2005, 04:16 PM
You're a pretty smart guy, but your previous comments confused me. Could you please explain HOW Honda is going to scientifically determine that you didn't follow recommended break-in procedure?
They most likely won't be able to tell. That's not the point I was trying to make. Please re-read my post to see what that real point was.

miss out on on the fun
You're kidding, right? For a lousy 600 miles of doing what the manual says, you're "missing out on the fun"? OK, I'm not going to argue with someone who obviously cannot see the rationale behind what I just posted.

You beat on it. You don't beat on it. The choice is the owner. My point was that if you followed the suggestions in your manual and the car blew up (and please read carefully because I did NOT say it would), then you did nothing wrong. If you didn't follow the suggestions and the thing blew up, well, I guess you had your "fun" and it really doesn't matter, right?

ps. It's got NOTHING to do with whether or not I'm a "smart" guy. It's got to do with common sense. If you buy a product (any product) where the instruction manual tells you to do something, is it instinct to go do something else?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the bigger question has already been answered - no concept of the future and what results of abuse may cause - they are not responsible - it's Honda's fault.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:11 AM

After finishing up my nightshift, I have read over this thread again.
Let me say this ...........................
At NO time have I told anyone what they should or should not do. I have merely presented a line of thinking, the logic and rationale of which, hopefully made some sense to "some" people. If you go back and read my stuff in this thread, I put up a lot of "IFs". You interpret that any way you wish.
There have been those who have advised to drive the shit out of their cars right from the dealer parking lot. I presented another kind of reasoning. Take it for what it is or don't take it at all.
So, please, go ahead and beat your car into the ground from day one. Have "fun" during that "endless" 600 miles if that's what you want. It's not my car. It's not my $30K. No skin off my teeth. I don't buy used high performance cars, so no worries for me.
And "if" (oooh, there's that peculiar word again) you come back in a few months or a year or two and wonder what that weird clicking sound is or what the odd rattling noise is, I'm sure there'll be somebody like me around here who will beat around the bush and try to help you out. But please, also remember the names of those who gave you these recommendations today (including myself).

PS. I'm not really a "smart" guy. I'm just an old coot whose been around cars and worked on them longer than most of you have been alive. Don't mind me. I'm just talking out my ass.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you please explain HOW Honda is going to scientifically determine that you didn't follow recommended break-in procedure?
they cant exactly tell if it didnt follow the break in procedure but can tell if its been abused.. it depends on the situation, what exactly broke... and so on...
from my personal experience, when my motor blew they had to send the short block back to AH since my local dealership didnt have anyone exactly trained to make technical decisions on the s2000...in the end i refused and just replaced the motor out my pocket @ a local shop...(motor was supercharged)

My friend specifically inquired as to the 'real' break-in procedure. The engineer informed him that all modern engines do NOT require a special break-in procedure other than to use common sense and let the engine properly warm up before running it hard.
i heard porsche engined dont require the break in period...(not written in manual)
(synthetic oil from factory)

i wouldnt believe everything you hear.. if a developer of Ford told you that "this and that doesnt or does matter on all cars" would you take his word with absolutely no doubt?

However, the Porsche engineer did say that the running gear, i.e. driveline, brakes, rear differential, and related components did need some heat cycles. So, he recommended no hard launches, hard braking, or SUSTAINED high-speed running for a few hundred miles/kilometers tops
thats practically the reason honda put in the 600 mile break in..

my .02
Old 09-10-2005, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=mikecl713,Sep 10 2005, 12:31 PM] QUOTE
Old 09-10-2005, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my 2 cents here:

I can't say one way or the other about the easy vs hard break-in. All I can do is state what I did.

I basically followed Honda's recommendations. I kept is under 5500 for the first 100 miles or so and under 6000 for the remainder of the 600 mile break-in. I went well out of my way to vary rpm's and loading during this time. That means, light throttle accelerations to the stated rpm limits as well as occasional full throttle sprints to the stated rpm limits but I kept those limited to 2nd and 3rd gear and were thus, relatively brief. For the record, I wasn't suffering from a lack of fun at any time during this process.

My car, now with 22k+ miles on it, runs like a top, uses no detectable amount of oil (the AP2's seem to be much better about that than AP1's), and is a total blast to drive. I simply can't get enough of it.

GorillaQueen, I'd just drive it like you already seem to be doing. When you do pass the 600 mile mark, assuming you decide to wait that long, and break the VTEC cherry, also assuming you've never experienced that before (I hadn't with my car and it was a total trip! ) you'll have a new definition of, "oh yeah!!"

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Edit: Now, maybe if I'd used the "drive it like you stole it" break-in method, I'd have 2 or 3 more hp than I do now, maybe I wouldn't. Either way, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference and as stated, the car runs just fine as it.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:29 AM

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

THIS IS the correct way to break in if you wanna read it LOL...

But I would just follow what the manual says, and you do actually have to redline it once or twice during the break-in period.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by silviaks,Sep 11 2005, 02:29 AM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

THIS IS the correct way to break in if you wanna read it LOL...

But I would just follow what the manual says, and you do actually have to redline it once or twice during the break-in period.
Yup, that's the one that's caused all the controversy. It's been around for a long time now. Whether "it is" the way to break-in an engine or not, I can't say. A lot of it kind of makes sense to me but I don't know if it's actually true or not. I've seen a number of things in my life that "kind of made sense" on the surface but later found out that it wasn't true.

All I know is, I used Honda's recommendations and my car funs just fine. As I said in my previous post, maybe I'd have gotten another 5 hp out of my engine if I'd used the "other" break-in method but I seriously doubt if I'd be able to feel that.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Drive Safe
Steve R.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Sep 10 2005, 02:33 PM
Just my 2 cents here:

I can't say one way or the other about the easy vs hard break-in. All I can do is state what I did.

I basically followed Honda's recommendations. I kept is under 5500 for the first 100 miles or so and under 6000 for the remainder of the 600 mile break-in. I went well out of my way to vary rpm's and loading during this time. That means, light throttle accelerations to the stated rpm limits as well as occasional full throttle sprints to the stated rpm limits but I kept those limited to 2nd and 3rd gear and were thus, relatively brief. For the record, I wasn't suffering from a lack of fun at any time during this process.

My car, now with 22k+ miles on it, runs like a top, uses no detectable amount of oil (the AP2's seem to be much better about that than AP1's), and is a total blast to drive. I simply can't get enough of it.

GorillaQueen, I'd just drive it like you already seem to be doing. When you do pass the 600 mile mark, assuming you decide to wait that long, and break the VTEC cherry, also assuming you've never experienced that before (I hadn't with my car and it was a total trip! ) you'll have a new definition of, "oh yeah!!"

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Edit: Now, maybe if I'd used the "drive it like you stole it" break-in method, I'd have 2 or 3 more hp than I do now, maybe I wouldn't. Either way, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference and as stated, the car runs just fine as it.
Thanks. guys for all the inputs!!