S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brand New Engine Break In- How to....

Old 09-09-2005, 09:46 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I beat the piss out of mine since Day 1, no oil burning in 2700 miles so far. I'm leasing so I'm not wasting my miles babying it around town. I warm the engine up by short shifting after a cold start and then drive it like I stole it.

With my new shift light, I've become conditioned to seeing the cool LED's flash at me near redline, so I'm running it even harder now.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Sep 9 2005, 09:46 AM
I beat the piss out of mine since Day 1, no oil burning in 2700 miles so far. I'm leasing so I'm not wasting my miles babying it around town. I warm the engine up by short shifting after a cold start and then drive it like I stole it.

With my new shift light, I've become conditioned to seeing the cool LED's flash at me near redline, so I'm running it even harder now.
Lucky person who gets your S when the lease is up.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break in is a midth. Vtec out of the box.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:19 PM

Okay...just checked my oil last night...to my surprise...there is no consumption....and the break in oil look golden clear....I know it's a good thing.. ..but I am thinking to myself...is the engine breaking in at all? If it does...it should have some thing coming out from the engine and into the oil turning it darker....but hey it's all good.....
Old 09-09-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 9 2005, 06:03 AM
Really!!??? Why would anyone actually read the owner's manual and do what it says?

So Xviper,

what's your take on how to break in the brand new S2000 engine?? Yes, I have searched many many times and have read all your FAQs/Guides/Newbie threads. Thanks
Old 09-09-2005, 12:21 PM

"Brand New Engine Break In- How to".... floooor it!!

and enjoy
Old 09-09-2005, 12:30 PM

I followed the manual's recommendation for break-in, and our my05 used 1/2 quart in the first 1000 miles. Since then, not a drop. Changed to 10/30 Chevron Supreme at 3750 miles, and no loss in the subsequent 2000 miles.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GorillaQueen,Sep 9 2005, 02:21 PM
So Xviper,

what's your take on how to break in the brand new S2000 engine?? Yes, I have searched many many times and have read all your FAQs/Guides/Newbie threads. Thanks
Ken already eluded to it:
For me, I just follow the Owner's Manual on Break-in.

Keep Revs under 5500 rpms for first 600 miles.
Vary rpms.
Do not change oil until first scheduled maintenance (3750 for severe or 7500 for normal). Change with regular 10w30 dino oil.
This sounds pretty clear and well defined to me.

Look at it this way: You have those who will tell you to do it "by the book" (aka. owner's manual). Then you have a few people in this thread (and elsewhere) tell you to bag the crap out it right off the dealer parking lot. Let's say, sometime down the road, something breaks. If you followed the book, Honda will probably look after you and you'll know you did the best you could by breaking it in the way Honda advised you to. If you followed what others have told you and you drive the shit out of it right from the start, will these people come and help you fix it? Do you think they'll send you money when Honda says " **** off" !!?? Or do you think they'll mysterious disappear and just say, "Oh well, a fluke. Not my car. Not my worry. Didn't happen to my car." Who holds your warranty? Honda? Or these guys in this post who are telling you to bag on it from the get go?
I mean really, it doesn't matter what others say or even what I say. If you want to protect your car and hope to have the warranty to fall back on should something go wrong, don't you think it would be wise to seriously consider what the owner's manual is trying to say to you?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

XViper,

You're a pretty smart guy, but your previous comments confused me. Could you please explain HOW Honda is going to scientifically determine that you didn't follow recommended break-in procedure?

On a somewhat related note, I have a friend who just picked up a 2006 Porsche 911S. A week later, he flew to Europe for two weeks on vacation. He swung by the Porsche factory and actually talked his way into an area where he was able to speak with a development engineer who was integral on the 997 (newest 911) project.

My friend specifically inquired as to the 'real' break-in procedure. The engineer informed him that all modern engines do NOT require a special break-in procedure other than to use common sense and let the engine properly warm up before running it hard.

However, the Porsche engineer did say that the running gear, i.e. driveline, brakes, rear differential, and related components did need some heat cycles. So, he recommended no hard launches, hard braking, or SUSTAINED high-speed running for a few hundred miles/kilometers tops.

Now, you guys who want to baby the hell out of your cars for 600 or 1200 or 2400 miles, be my guest and miss out on on the fun.

It cracks me up to believe that ANYONE can actually believe that new car manufacturers, especially HONDA, would build an engine that would prematurely fail because it wasn't broken in SPECIFICALLY under manufacturer guidelines.

I can see you guys saying, "Oops, I VTEC'd my engine early, it's going to blow up now."
Old 09-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Sep 9 2005, 02:16 PM
XViper,

You're a pretty smart guy, but your previous comments confused me. Could you please explain HOW Honda is going to scientifically determine that you didn't follow recommended break-in procedure?

On a somewhat related note, I have a friend who just picked up a 2006 Porsche 911S. A week later, he flew to Europe for two weeks on vacation. He swung by the Porsche factory and actually talked his way into an area where he was able to speak with a development engineer who was integral on the 997 (newest 911) project.

My friend specifically inquired as to the 'real' break-in procedure. The engineer informed him that all modern engines do NOT require a special break-in procedure other than to use common sense and let the engine properly warm up before running it hard.

However, the Porsche engineer did say that the running gear, i.e. driveline, brakes, rear differential, and related components did need some heat cycles. So, he recommended no hard launches, hard braking, or SUSTAINED high-speed running for a few hundred miles/kilometers tops.

Now, you guys who want to baby the hell out of your cars for 600 or 1200 or 2400 miles, be my guest and miss out on on the fun.

It cracks me up to believe that ANYONE can actually believe that new car manufacturers, especially HONDA, would build an engine that would prematurely fail because it wasn't broken in SPECIFICALLY under manufacturer guidelines.

I can see you guys saying, "Oops, I VTEC'd my engine early, it's going to blow up now."

You are cracking me up.....hahahaha....To an extent, I think Xviper's comment was a bit confusing to me....so I asked to clarify things....Okay...everything sounds good to me....

Quick Reply: Brand New Engine Break In- How to....