S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Braking issue

Old 10-11-2012 | 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking issue

This is going to be hard to explain but here goes nothing...

Recently I have noticed my 03 s2000 (75,000 miles) having some braking issues. After I drive around for awhile and the brakes start to heat up it seems as if the pads aren't releasing after a couple of stops. I first start to notice when I start applying pressure on the pedal it wants to brake almost immediately when normally you have to apply a little bit of pressure and the more pressure you apply the harder it brakes. Once I notice immediate pressure, I put the car in neutral and the car starts slowing down quicker than just "coasting". It starts slowing down as if i was barely putting my foot on the brakes but im not. If im at a stop light and try to ease out of 1st gear it almost wants to stall like the brakes are sticking, i have to give it more gas than normal to start moving without it wanting to die. Is this a master cylinder problem? Or do I need to look into getting new rotors and pads? My car is slammed so i looked into my axles binding but im more than positive that isnt the issue. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced.
Old 10-11-2012 | 11:16 AM

I would look at the caliper sticking, might be time for a rebuild of the calipers.
Old 10-11-2012 | 11:29 AM

Ok, ill give that a look first and try to test the calipers to see if that might be the problem.
Old 10-11-2012 | 11:41 AM

Another thing, its not consistent either. For example, the calipers were "sticking" on my way home today about thirty minutes ago-- as I back it out of the driveway to jack the car up just now they werent sticking and its driving normal as if nothing was wrong. If it was a caliper issue would it stick all the time or randomly? Some days it sticks and some days the car drives beautifully like nothing was wrong.
Old 10-11-2012 | 04:21 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

inspect/clean pins. I can never stress annual brake fluid change enough either.
Old 10-12-2012 | 06:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Why didn't you mention one (*) rotor is HOT?
As in: way WAY hotter than the others?
(*) or more than one.
But not more than 4, per car.
Unless you have some hot rotors in the trunck, you know, its possible.

Old 10-12-2012 | 08:07 PM

It seems as if the right rear rotor is hotter than the rest of them. I have noticed that before. Im doing a full flush tomorrow just because it might be the cheapest of all the solutions and it hasnt been done before since i have owned the car. Hopefully there is just dirt in the lines and it will solve the problem. Ill give an update tomorrow sometime and also check the pins.
Old 10-13-2012 | 01:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GvilleBrink
It seems as if the right rear rotor is hotter than the rest of them.
Hopefully there is just dirt in the lines and it will solve the problem.
Fresh brake fluid is never bad but it won't solve it, certainly not in the long run.
Moving the rear piston - by TURNING - may make it better for a while, the same with fresh high temp grease on the pins, but don't be fooled.
The old brake fluid has absorbed a lot of water over time and rusted and pitted the piston.
Rebuild time I'm afraid.

Old 10-13-2012 | 03:01 AM
20 Year Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Yes once the damage is done, a sticky caliper will need to be replaced.

As stated, brake fluid replacement is essential. I strongly feel with proper brake fluid replacements, a car can go over 1 million miles before needing caliper work...the entire brake system could even go trouble free forever.

I pulled a piston out of one of my front calipers at 115k to have a look. It was in brand new condition. Not even a single dot of corrosion anywhere to be found. I've used ATE super blue since my first flush.

I pulled a piston out of a 2005 with 150k, original brake fluid. (his was sticking bad) The caliper was packed with rust, and sludge. After cleaning, the piston was rotting away.
Old 10-13-2012 | 12:04 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Damn good to hear though it keeps the system clean.I find brake fluid is one of the most important fluids but the most neglected. I've seen 'brake jobs' where the fluid was never touched :s

Quick Reply: Braking issue