S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brakes upgrade

Old 12-27-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Brakes upgrade

Greetings fellow S2000 enthusiasts!!

I'd like some opinions and suggestions for brake upgrades...

Ive recently done a overhaul/build and tune on my AP1...and the engine is running rather well...so with that, im very happy.
But naturally, more the car has "GO"...needs to have more "STOP" lol
Im currently running stock disks and callipers, and Seido-ya's SM500 brake pads all round...and meshed brake lines. They are great for street use, but not so on the track.

SO!! taking into consideration that I intend to eventually run wider tyres, Im thinking of going for a full brake upgrade (though my back account doest agree)

At this point, my top two brands im considering (from suggestion) is Tarox and Project Mu....and AP Racing as third choice (considering price also).

Does any one have experience running any of these brands..? How are they? Any other recommendations..?

Also, im not sure as to run the from 4 pod or 6 pod...suggestions on that also perhaps?

Thanks alot! Drive safe everyone
Old 12-27-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just need to swap pads for track days. Here a popular source is http://carbotechperformance.com/brake-compounds2.asp
Old 12-27-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[attachment=71343:IMG_4970.JPG]

AP kit + Castrol SRF+Raybestos ST43 pads all around=No brake fade. Ever. 10/10ths every braking zone.

Biggest benefit is consumable life. My first set of ST43 pads lasted about a year and a half with a lot of street driving.
Attached Thumbnails Brakes upgrade-img_4970.jpg  
Old 12-28-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
AP kit + Castrol SRF+Raybestos ST43 pads all around=No brake fade. Ever. 10/10ths every braking zone. Biggest benefit is consumable life. My first set of ST43 pads lasted about a year and a half with a lot of street driving.
What size offset and spacer?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:16 PM

17x9 +45. Team Dynamics wheels.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

If you decide to keep your stock calipers I would highly recommend looking into the Stoptech slotted rotors and Street Performance pads. The rotors have an e-coating on the hubs and vanes to prevent corrosion, as well as slotted vents to prevent heat warping. The Street Performance pads are a para-aramid compound that provide increased stopping power over stock while producing less dust and noise than the competition.

We have the Stoptech slotted brake package for the S2K for $374.99 on our website. Shoot me a PM with your zip and I can give you a more accurate quote.
http://store.excelerateperformance.c...i-1798790.aspx
Old 01-01-2015, 02:13 PM

^I think that is a good move actually. I ran on stock blanks and the Stoptech Street Performance pads for a while on track. I definitely had to drive around brake fade A LOT but the street performance pads fell off at a low enough temperature that I didn't crack rotors. I certainly wouldn't try setting any records on that setup but for light HPDE it would do.

On stock brakes with Cobalt Friction XR2/XR5, I cracked new rotors at Gainesville Raceway test course which is basically a glorified autox course.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:13 PM

I don't know much about bbk, but after researching a brake upgrade I came to my own conclusion. Rotors are wear items; slotted, drilled,or a combination of both are no better than blanks. They are just more pleasing to the eye but may be more prone to cracking on the track. Heres a quote taken from a Brembo advertisement.

"IMPORTANT REMINDER: Slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors offered as OEM replacements should not be considered appropriate for high-speed track use.
While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses that can build up between the pad and rotor, they are not designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that are produced on the racetrack. If they are used on the track, it is very important that the rotors be carefully inspected and should not be driven on if even minor signs of deterioration are seen. Note, too, that if any products are used on the track they are not warrantable."

I think a good brake upgrade includes blanks, track brake pads, race-grade brake fluid, and ss brake lines. Unless you're boosted or running more power under the hood bbks may be a bit of an overkill.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

If you have track tires, and drive like this car is meant to be driven, then its not difficult to put more heat into our stock brakes than they can shed before the next turn on the track. Result is brake fade.

The fix is brakes that can absorb more heat.

Its very difficult to overwhelm our stock brakes on the street. On the track is a different story.