S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brakes Squeak!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Brakes Squeak!

Recently my brakes started squeaking and so I assumed that it was a clip on one of my brake pads rubbing against the rotor, letting me know it was time to replace my brake pads. SO! I ordered a set of front and rear project mu b-force brake pads (I've been wanting to try these out for awhile) and installed them last weekend. While replacing the brake pads I noticed that none of the pads were worn down enough that the clip would be hitting. However they were indeed low, and would have needed replacing anyways. However to my horror, after replacing, the squeak is STILL THERE!! What could this be? A warped rotor perhaps? Any other possibilities? While i'm on the subject, could somebody recommend good rotors?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

~Valentine
Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 PM

Hate to tell you this, but the squeak and squeal is from the compound the pads are made of. I have run several sets of Project pads and they are noisy. You can quiet them a little with some disc brake quiet by crc from autozone, but for the most part, it's just gonna be that way with those pads.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

If you want quiet pads, use stock ones.

All performance oriented brake pads are much louder than stock.

My Cobalts sound like a School bus.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Question

Whaaaaaaat??? This is the same squeak I was experiencing with the STOCK pads BEFORE I replaced them with the project mu pads. I read that the project mu pads are supposed to be QUIET. What the crap? This makes no sense to me at all... who wants to drive around with squeaky brakes
Old 08-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Hoa

oem shouldnt make noise unless it was worn out or something. i even get some noise on my bmw oem pads when im on a hill so its not a big deal...
Old 08-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hoa,Aug 10 2007, 10:51 PM
oem shouldnt make noise unless it was worn out or something. i even get some noise on my bmw oem pads when im on a hill so its not a big deal...
The OEM brakes may sqeal if installed improperly. The OEM brake pads come with shims, and shim lubricant. The lubricant goes in between the shims, and prevents the back of the brake pad from oscillating against the piston. (this is what causes the squealing)

Problem with tracking the car is that the lubricant will disintigrate after a couple of sessions. I have seen the teflon baked off a shim.

So if your gonna track the car, the brakes are gonna squeal.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:44 AM

Thumbs up

Alright, you can call me dumb if you like but none of this is making sense. However, perhaps there is something that DOES make sense. Why I didn't think of this before, I am not sure. I used the e-brake tonight, to test if all of my brakes were squeaking with the new pads, or just the fronts or whatever. Using the e-brake produces no squeak at all. Also when looking at my front rotors, the front driver side rotor has a couple noticeable grooves in it. All of the other rotors are perfectly smooth. Could this be the source of the squeal? Perhaps I could just replace this rotor?

Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:51 AM

[QUOTE=RACER,Aug 11 2007, 09:08 PM]The OEM brake pads come with shims, and shim lubricant.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:47 PM

As stated in my first post. I am not using OEM brake pads. I am using the project mu b-force brake pads. They do not have shims.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Valentino007,Aug 12 2007, 06:47 PM
As stated in my first post. I am not using OEM brake pads. I am using the project mu b-force brake pads. They do not have shims.
I already explaned what causes the sqeal.

[QUOTE=Valentino007,Aug 10 2007, 04:46 PM]While replacing the brake pads I noticed that none of the pads were worn down enough that the clip would be hitting. However they were indeed low, and would have needed replacing anyways. However to my horror, after replacing, the squeak is STILL THERE!!

Quick Reply: Brakes Squeak!