S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake Squeel

Old 10-15-2001, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeel

After my last weekend at the track, I started getting some LOUD squeeling from my brakes, although the track was not particularly hard on the brakes. The squeel begins after about a mile of driving and only under light braking; if I braking hard or moderately hard, they are quiet. When I brake into my garage, the noise hurts my ears.

I pulled off all four wheels and checked the R4-S pads...they looked fine. I re-lubed the shims and this brought the loudness down a bit, but you can still hear me braking from a 1/4 mile away.

Does anyone have an idea of what is causing the noise?
Secondly, at what material thickness do I change the Porterfields?

Thanks,
Tanq
Old 10-15-2001, 10:13 AM

You've just described brake squeal perfectly. I'd suggest you try a different brand of anti-squeal compound (I use CRC Disc Brake Quiet spray) and apply it to the back of the shim (where it contacts the caliper/piston) as well as the pad side of the shim.

Sometimes performance brakes just make noise but I've been able to quiet the R4-Ss on my car.

Replace em before the brake material is all gone. They are not rivited so you don't have to worry about that. I'm guessing the official spec is something like 1/16-1/8" of pad material but don't quote me.
Old 10-15-2001, 10:32 AM

Jschmidt,

My R4-S pads squealed some after my first 3-day track event, but I fixed it pretty easily with more lube. After my last weekend at the track, it has been unbearable...my wife won't ride in the car because she is embarrassed.

I will try CRC and try applying the stuff to the places you suggested. I normally only apply it between the shim and pad backing plate.

Thanks,
Tanq
Old 10-15-2001, 12:57 PM

I went home at lunch and realized that I had some extra time, so I tried using anti-seize, as recommended in a couple of previous threads. I put it all over the place...both sides of the shim, on the pad backing, a bit on the caliper where it hits the shim.

I drove to work, and....they still squeal! Not loud enough to burst eardrums, but still enough to hear at a few hundred yards.

A question: my R4-S pads have seen 5 track days. 3 of those days were very hard on the brakes. Is it possible that the pads get more squeal after hard use? If I cooked the pads, would that cause this racket?

Thanks,
Tanq
Old 10-15-2001, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Tanqueray
If I cooked the pads, would that cause this racket?
I don't think so. It's going to be tough, though to get enough anti-seize off to make the other stuff work now. That stuff stays!!!. Another idea might be to look at the sides of the backing plate (not the back or front where the pads are mounted, but the sides. Look for any wierd wear or rough spots and smooth them. I don't really have any other ideas.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:04 PM

Most any high performance pad will squeal at times . Material of pad is harder than stock ,noise comes from pad moving in caliper as pad bites rotor than releases quickly . Softer pads eliminate noise , but also reduces pad effectiveness . Honda balances pad noise against performance . If you go to Honda with pad noise problem they install softer pads than normal , if you have pad longevity problems they give you pads that are harder than normal . This is very simplistic answer , but hardness and material that pad is made out of is what produces noise . A good set of bedded pads to the rotor will have very smooth finish on rotor , as rotor becomes smoother noise usually increases but so does braking performance.

brad
Old 10-17-2001, 04:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to lube the interface of the pad and the piston with a "perfomance lube" available at any auto-part store. Be very careful not to get any of the powder on the friction area of the pad!

Utah
Old 10-17-2001, 05:09 PM

I had my R4-S's for a long time before they just recently started squealing exactly as Tanq described. Personally, it's not that big of a deal to me though. I'm just surprised it took them so long to start making noise!
Old 10-17-2001, 05:45 PM

Steve,

That's what I suspect: once the pad have been used hard and long, the squeal gets very bad. If I have time this week, I am going to switch to a new set of Porterfields and see what happens. I can't believe that all of that lube I have put on in the last few days hasn't fixed the problem.

Tanq
Old 10-18-2001, 01:39 PM

I think I fixed the squeal, finally: I pulled the wheels and put on a second coat of anti-sieze everywhere. All I have heard since is the usual noise from the R4-S pads.

I still don't understand why putting anti-sieze on the on the piston/caliper sides of the pad and shim was needed...it didn't come that way from the factory. Does that imply that I need new shims?

Tanq

Quick Reply: Brake Squeel