S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake problem

Old 08-14-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to piss you off or anything just trying to cancel out what might be causing the problem. First off, how many millimeters were the old pads? How did he bleed the system? Through a machine? Himself (if he did it alone he would have a brake bleeder kit meant for a 1-person job)? Another thing to note. The more you feed me with info the more we can break it down.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SketchdaS,
The bleeding job was 2-persons job. The pads were about 40% left.
Thanx man.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 AM

[QUOTE=Crisgo,Aug 14 2009, 06:10 PM] So you are saying if you unplug the abs control module there is no noise?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Crisgo,Aug 15 2009, 06:42 AM
I know that the abs light will illum when you unplug the modulator, however was there a light on before that. Do the brakes "grab/function" and release or is it just a sound you are hearing.

Best thing for you to do since 1: its hard to know what that noise is 2: We might be back and forth with try this and that. 3. I would try what I mentioned in my post above and if that does nothing for you 4: Go to a honda dealer for inspection and make sure you can demonstrate the noise to them.

GL.
No brake or ABS light on before. It sound like brake grabbing and let go. Will Honda charge him for diagnos the problems?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:17 AM

Yes. They will prop charge 1 hour check out which hourly labor is different place to place. Honda dealers in AZ charge around $109.00 an hour
Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Is it OK to run with the cable unplugged from the ABS module?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay, you're getting some sketchy advice from some people in this thread. Hold on a second while I make a longer response.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. I think you diagnosed the problem correctly.
2. If I'm understanding you right, what you're feeling is ABS activating at slow speeds.
3. That's why it only happens when the ABS system is active and goes away when the cable is unplugged.
4. It's totally fine to drive without ABS, many cars do not have ABS at all. Including more than half of the cars autocrossed....

Questions: Have you recently done any lowering, suspension work, wheel changes, brake work? Have you had any accidents?

You will get the symptoms you describe if you have a partially functioning ABS sensor.

This can happen from:
1. Dirt, grease, metal shavings or dielectric grease blocking the magnet sensor from picking up the signal from the reluctor ring.
2. A worn or dirty reluctor ring (uncommon).
3. An internally damaged ABS wire (often when doing wheel / brake / suspension work).

Note that this is a different case than if the ABS sensor was broken completely. In that case, your ABS light would be on and it would not function at all.

The symptoms you describe (early activation of the ABS) is consistent with the ABS computer receiving differing signals from the wheels. Imagine if one sensor only transmits half of the impulses...

I would do a careful inspection of all the reluctor rings and ABS sensors. Make sure the ABS sensors are seated all the way in the knuckle and not too far away from the rings. Clean everything.

If it still happens, you can take it in to the dealership and they can tell you which ABS sensor is malfunctioning.

You can then either pay for them to replace it, or buy a used sensor off the "For Sale" section here.

Note that each ABS sensor is particular to a corner of the car due to the associated brackets and you have to order the appropriate one.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Aug 16 2009, 01:25 PM
1. I think you diagnosed the problem correctly.
2. If I'm understanding you right, what you're feeling is ABS activating at slow speeds.
3. That's why it only happens when the ABS system is active and goes away when the cable is unplugged.
4. It's totally fine to drive without ABS, many cars do not have ABS at all. Including more than half of the cars autocrossed....

Questions: Have you recently done any lowering, suspension work, wheel changes, brake work? Have you had any accidents?

You will get the symptoms you describe if you have a partially functioning ABS sensor.

This can happen from:
1. Dirt, grease, metal shavings or dielectric grease blocking the magnet sensor from picking up the signal from the reluctor ring.
2. A worn or dirty reluctor ring (uncommon).
3. An internally damaged ABS wire (often when doing wheel / brake / suspension work).

Note that this is a different case than if the ABS sensor was broken completely. In that case, your ABS light would be on and it would not function at all.

The symptoms you describe (early activation of the ABS) is consistent with the ABS computer receiving differing signals from the wheels. Imagine if one sensor only transmits half of the impulses...

I would do a careful inspection of all the reluctor rings and ABS sensors. Make sure the ABS sensors are seated all the way in the knuckle and not too far away from the rings. Clean everything.

If it still happens, you can take it in to the dealership and they can tell you which ABS sensor is malfunctioning.

You can then either pay for them to replace it, or buy a used sensor off the "For Sale" section here.

Note that each ABS sensor is particular to a corner of the car due to the associated brackets and you have to order the appropriate one.
He just replaced the right rear suspension, control arms and knuckle.
I will give him your note and see if he can take it to the dealer to check it out.
Thanx.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Jack,Aug 14 2009, 05:51 PM
Dude.
Man. You leave out some valuable info. You said that the car sat for about 4 months then suddenly this noise is happening. I hope you can now find and fix this problem. GL

Quick Reply: Brake problem