S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake Pads for Track Use

Old 08-28-2002, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads for Track Use

What pads are people using on the track, where did they get them, and what do people think about them? Seems a worthy topic for discussion.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is some scattered information about this in the racing and competition forum. R4S's for light track, R4's for heavy track, Brakeman #3's on the track, Carbotech's, and a few misc subjects regarding the EBC's as well.

Whichever you do.. make sure you got hte brake fluid too!
Old 08-28-2002, 11:40 AM

Schatten: I've switched to DOT4 fluid already, but thanks for looking out for me. I'll do a search. I was talking to Tire Rack about new tires. They sell EBC Red for $79 and $99 and seemed to feel they were pretty good. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:55 PM

I use the Porterfield R4S for track days and very spirited road driving. They have yet to fail me ever and for me, that is VERY impressive!

If I did more track days, I'd look to the R4 pads. The stock S2000 braking system is excellent.....I thought about the big brake kit, but with SS/Kevlar lines, Speedbleeders, Porterfields and ATE Superblue fluid, my brakes are spectacular. Nothing has been able to outbrake me yet.

Speaking of brakes....did anybody see the SCC issue recently where they got 113ft (if I'm not mistaken) in the 60-0 test for the Nissan 350Z? And it wasn't even the track model with the Brembo brakes. What gives?

Cheers,
Old 08-28-2002, 01:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cbender
[B]What pads are people using on the track, where did they get them, and what do people think about them?
Old 08-29-2002, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using Hawk Blues with the ATE Superblue as fluid. The Hawks are truly awesome pads on the track, however very very hard on the rotors (very grooved). The ATE Superblue has been perfectly reliable to the point that I'm embarrassed to admit that I've done 6 track days without having bled the brakes at all after the initial change. And that is with brake temps hot enough to melt the dust seals on my front calipers.

Clark
Old 08-29-2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Clark
I've been using Hawk Blues with the ATE Superblue as fluid.
Since when did Hawk start making brake pads for the S2000?
Old 08-29-2002, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many people using the Hawk Blue pads on the S2000. I bought mine from King Motorsports (site sponsor).

I've been told that they aren't actually made for the S2000, but are actually Del Sol pads that work quite nicely after a portion of the backing is ground off (with a grinder or Dremel), which King does for you.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:01 PM

We sell The Brake Man #3 racing pad . Pads are made to fit S-2000 , not reworked pads . They are the only true racing pad that I know of that you can use on the street . ( no rotor wear) These pads are rotor friendly on the track and very easy to use.
Here is a link to a post from cdelena regarding his testing of the #3 pad on his car . https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=63278
Dave Kennedy , the owner of the super charged S-2000 in the October issue of Sport Compact Car , S-2000 comparison test , was using our brake kit with #3 racing pads.
We are also running a group buy on these pads , in the group buy forum

brad
Pinnacle Braking Systems
@ Rick's Accessories
Old 08-30-2002, 05:46 AM

AEM also has a high-performance pad available. It is manufactured by Nissin, the OEM supplier, with a proprietary lining compound. I haven't compared it against the other aftermarket pads available; I hope to have the opportunity to do that over the winter in Tochigi.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for Track Use