S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake pads

Old 05-26-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with dwight. No need to resurface the rotors if they're perfectly fine to begin with.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
Yes, textbook method states to resurface rotors each and every time you change pads.
Actually, in the Honda ESM they don't say to resurface after changing pads, as in part of the procedure.
Changing pads and the runout specs, etc on rotors are different items.
For a shop who works on customers' cars with unknown pedigree; your safest bet is to clean up their rotor for a happy customer.
Keywords: unknown pedigree.
If I would own a shop I would TALK to the customer and ASK a customer and/or drive the car before I work on it.
That would be my safest bet.
That said: it would not be a bet it would be knowledge.
Bet on brakes?
Not me.

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Changing the brake fluid? Makes sense but I just did that < 1 year and 5 thousand miles ago without a brake pad/rotor job.
Sure, but you know you did.
A tech working on a onknown car does not if he does not ask.
And BLAQ&GREYs2k does not ask / and never did because his expert certified tech response is to "just cycle fluid back and forth" in the master.
Maybe he judges the quality by looking in the reservoir... good point!
Its BAD practice.

However, for something like autos especially when you do this day in and out, I would think you would get pretty darn good at estimating torque, hence the comment about "tight".
His expert certified tech advise was to a - looking at the OP first post on this I think the OP is not that experienced - DIY'er.

Being in a service industry myself (airline) I can sympathize that so many customers would be coming back bitching about sound and vibration.
Its a not that easy to take a plane out for a test flight (I guess ) but with cars it is.
A short test drive will reveal any vibration in the brakes prior to working on it.

Last time I changed pads on my car I did not resurface anything, the rotors were fine before and after and still are.
And I pushed out the "old" fluid.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1369620122' post='22568668
Changing the brake fluid? Makes sense but I just did that < 1 year and 5 thousand miles ago without a brake pad/rotor job.
Sure, but you know you did.
A tech working on a onknown car does not if he does not ask.
And BLAQ&GREYs2k does not ask / and never did because his expert certified tech response is to "just cycle fluid back and forth" in the master.
Maybe he judges the quality by looking in the reservoir... good point!
Its BAD practice.

Last time I changed pads on my car I did not resurface anything, the rotors were fine before and after and still are.
And I pushed out the "old" fluid.

All good points. I cry uncle. Guess I will stick to airplanes and not go in the auto shop business!