S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake pads

Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads

Can some one really help me find a dyi brake pads change they have many different opinions about leaving the brake fluid cap open and the brake bleeder valve I just need help with pics
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2KBert
Can some one really help me find a dyi brake pads change they have many different opinions about leaving the brake fluid cap open and the brake bleeder valve I just need help with pics
I am a certified tech in brakes among many other things. Perhaps I can shed some light for you.

Changing the brake pads is a very simple process as long as you pay attention. There is no need to touch the bleeder valves OR take the cap of the master cylinder off. The cap is vented so air pressure and excess fluid can escape.

Remove the two bolts holding on the caliper. They are 14mm if i remember correctly. These are also known as the slide pins. You will later need to wipe these two pins clean and apply new grease.

Next remove the two bolts holding on the bracket in which your brake pads rest. They are 18mm or 19mm bolts. DO NOT STOP HERE AND ONLY PUT NEW BRAKE PADS ON.

You will need to remove the rotor and have the surfaced machine for a new, smooth and parallel surface. This is IMPERATIVE to the life of the brake pads as well as ensuring no squeaking or vibrations.

In order to remove the rotors you will need to remove the philips head screws holding them on at the hub. These can be a bit tricky your first time but it can be done with the right tool and approach. You NEED a the correct size philips head screw driver WITH a striking cap. What this means is the metal striking cap is directly connected to the metal shaft. You will use this tool on these screws while: hitting with a hammer firmly and twisting counter clockwise the entire time.

Take the rotors to a local carquest or similar place and have them resurfaced for about 20 a piece.

Now all you need to do is compress the pistons back into the calipers. There should be no loss of fluid. The level goes back and forth.

Put the rotors and the same screws back in. Put the bracket on first. Put the brake pads on the braket. Then slide the caliper over and put the bolts in. TIGHTEN DOWN EVERY BOLT VERY TIGHT.

Once everything is tight, put on your wheels. Dont forget to pump up the brake pedal before you drive it. It seats the piston on the pads where it should be.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 PM

Thanks man I did it before I read this post I checked out some videos and some DIY in s2ki and so far they work excellent
Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey the link in my signature can help ya out too!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Hey themikewoo I want to replace my clutch line I bought a new one from chasebays do you have a DIY
Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by S2KBert
Hey themikewoo I want to replace my clutch line I bought a new one from chasebays do you have a DIY
Why are you replacing it? Dont fix whats not broken. You will have to bleed the slave cylinder after you do this. Have fun managing that if you need a brake pad DIY
Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As it was asked before; why are you replacing it?

No I do not have a DIY link for changing the clutch line.

Yes I do have a DIY link for replacing your clutch fluid.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k
You will need to remove the rotor and have the surfaced machine for a new, smooth and parallel surface. This is IMPERATIVE to the life of the brake pads as well as ensuring no squeaking or vibrations.
I disagree. If the rotor thickness is greater than the minimum, leave them alone. I've gotten great life out of rotors and pads over the past ~20 years streeting and tracking my cars. I used to get rotors turned, but all it does is take life out of them. Pads will quickly conform to the rotors, pad life barely affected.

Only exception is that if pads are swapped between track/street, there may be compatibility issues where you need to get the pad material off of the rotors. That said, CarboTech insists on this and I've never worried about it swapping between XP8s or XP10s and street pads. Never had any issues whatsoever.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by BLAQ&GREYs2k' timestamp='1369282437' post='22561322
I disagree. If the rotor thickness is greater than the minimum, leave them alone. I've gotten great life out of rotors and pads over the past ~20 years streeting and tracking my cars. I used to get rotors turned, but all it does is take life out of them. Pads will quickly conform to the rotors, pad life barely affected.

Only exception is that if pads are swapped between track/street, there may be compatibility issues where you need to get the pad material off of the rotors. That said, CarboTech insists on this and I've never worried about it swapping between XP8s or XP10s and street pads. Never had any issues whatsoever.
I dont care what you say, I work at a shop 5 days a week. Failure to resurface the rotors will cause vibrations and glazing on the rotor. Perhaps your view is different since you obviously cut corners on brakes to save money for tires at the track? Look in any automotive text regarding the brakes.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a strong claim to say that, "Failure to resurface the rotors will cause vibrations and glazing on the rotor." That claim is more assertive than the older warning labels on tobacco products.

By the way, I've never resurfaced a rotor and have never had vibration or glazing issues. But don't take my word for it. I don't get paid to cut rotors.

Quick Reply: Brake pads