S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake Pad size for Wilwood 4 Piston Kit

Old 12-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake Pad size for Wilwood 4 Piston Kit

Does anyone know the proper size for the Wilwood 4 Piston Brake Pads? I've been searching on S2Ki, asked around and there doesn't seem to be an answer out there. I understand that Sherwin is back in the hospital so I can't ask him.

On another note.....I've had my Wilwood kit for about 5 months now and have roughly 5,000 miles on them. The more miles I get on them the more they are starting to click when I step on the brakes. Another person local to me is having the same issue and had his shop check them out to tell him that the pads are a little too small (floating), but not unsafe at this time - they may become unsafe as the pad wears though

I'm hoping that by changing the pads out this clicking noise will stop. The pad box that came with the brake kit reads 15Q-6824K 7112Q.......and I have no idea what this number means.

Brakes are obviously not a specialty of mine, but I can say that (aside from the clicking) I have been very happy with the stopping power of this kit
Old 12-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pad sizing for the Wilwood stuff is solely determined by the caliper itself.

I'm pretty sure (read 95%) that those 4 pot kits run the Dynalite caliper. We have the following Dynalite fitments:
http://www.gofastlab.com/s2ki/product.php?...4&cat=40&page=1
http://www.gofastlab.com/s2ki/product.php?...6&cat=40&page=1

As far as the clicking goes, beats me. The "pad too small" theory might be right but it doesn't really make sense that you'd have been shipped the wrong sized pads when you bought these
Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Ludedude - I'm also surprised that the pads "float" due to the improper size being sent in the kit......after speaking with Wilwood it sounds like they changed the caliper a little this past spring. This would also be the timeframe Sherwin's health kept him out of the loop, so I'm thinking an update may have been missed/overlooked at the Brakezone by someone who has less experience than Sherwin and the same pad size that worked before is just a tad too small for the "upgraded" calipers.

If this is the case, I personally do not fault the guys at Brakezone but do hope a solution is achieved soon.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Dec 10 2004, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know the proper size for the Wilwood 4 Piston Brake Pads? I've been searching on S2Ki, asked around and there doesn't seem to be an answer out there. I understand that Sherwin is back in the hospital so I can't ask him.

On another note.....I've had my Wilwood kit for about 5 months now and have roughly 5,000 miles on them. The more miles I get on them the more they are starting to click when I step on the brakes. Another person local to me is having the same issue and had his shop check them out to tell him that the pads are a little too small (floating), but not unsafe at this time - they may become unsafe as the pad wears though

I'm hoping that by changing the pads out this clicking noise will stop. The pad box that came with the brake kit reads 15Q-6824K 7112Q.......and I have no idea what this number means.

Brakes are obviously not a specialty of mine, but I can say that (aside from the clicking) I have been very happy with the stopping power of this kit
Pads in aftermarket calipers will make the clicking noise due to the lack of retaining springs for the pads and/or residual valves to prevent the floating pistons from retracting. It's more annoying than dangerous.