S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake pad rattle

Old 07-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Brake pad rattle

I replaced the OEM pads with some Hawk HPS pads, and right afterwards I noticed that the rear pads would clank if I hit a really sharp bump. Thinking it was the pads I put the OEM back on and it still did it, infact it was worse. My next thought was that I needed to replace the metal springs that go on each end of the pad, still had the issue. The OEM pads did not have the shims on them when I got the car (previous owner must have removed the pads and left them off), so my next thought was to get shims. The only issue is that the Hawk pads have their own shim already on the pad and there is no way the OEM shims will fit with them on and they are obviously not meant to go on the Hawk pads.

At this point I really have no clue what could be causing this or what I could do to fix it. It is not really bad and it has to be a really sharp bump, like a separation in the road, or a real sharp crack. It does not do it when I hit a pot hole or bump.

Anyone else had this issue??
Old 07-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the metal tabs that sit on the caliper bracket that hold the pads in! They cost 12 bucks for a set. Thats the first easy step to try.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:24 PM

That is what I was refering to as the springs, guess I should have been more specific. But it did not work
Old 07-12-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say it, why mess aftermarket stuff like this when oem, work great unless you track the car, never a clank or any problem with oem, ran the piss out of mine factory pads still great after 25000 miles, chased killboy up dragon on tn. side he was in his evo turbo, he only pulled a couple of corners on me, more than a few times about ran the s2000 up his back bumper all the way up, only time i ever noticed any fade
Old 07-13-2009, 05:39 PM

The stock AP2 pads dust really bad, and don't work that great, and the HPS pads were a step up in both stopping and dusting. The OEM pads clanked when I put them back on so it is not the pads.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I been using auto zone duralast pads on the front and rear! Less dust no noise and stop just like oem pads.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 229 Likes on 170 Posts

Pads do not determine stopping power. Tires do. All different pads will do is change pedal feel and fade resistance and I seem to recall hearing that the Hawk pads do little to improve wear or fade resistance.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=SheDrivesIt,Jul 14 2009, 09:11 AM]Pads do not determine stopping power.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zherbo,Jul 12 2009, 07:51 PM
Hate to say it, why mess aftermarket stuff like this when oem, work great unless you track the car, never a clank or any problem with oem,
I don't know about that. I've used OEM pads since the 2nd set (probably on my 4th or 5th set now) and I have an issue where you hear a noticeable click when you go from reverse to forward and apply the brakes (like backing out of a parking space) and going forward-to-reverse and applying the brakes.

Bugs me but I don't know what to do about it. I've used all the shims that came w/ the new pads and I still get the problem. So OEM pads can do it too.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by WarrenW,Jul 14 2009, 10:39 AM
I don't know about that. I've used OEM pads since the 2nd set (probably on my 4th or 5th set now) and I have an issue where you hear a noticeable click when you go from reverse to forward and apply the brakes (like backing out of a parking space) and going forward-to-reverse and applying the brakes.

Bugs me but I don't know what to do about it. I've used all the shims that came w/ the new pads and I still get the problem. So OEM pads can do it too.
i am on oem pads as well. there is a little wiggle room in there that you can feel if you shimmy the pad back and forth when you're installing them. if there were no clearance they'd be a PITA to fit. that thousandth of an inch is enough to cause the pad to clank when going from forward to reverse or the opposite and hitting the brakes. it is slapping up against the opposite end of the bracket. that and if you park outside you'll have a clank on takeoff from the pad rusting to the rotor from moisture in the air.

Quick Reply: Brake pad rattle