S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake pad adhering to rotor

Old 05-10-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake pad adhering to rotor

Got back from Spring Fling '05 and put the car up on stands. When I went to pull the brakes and rotors, I was horrified! The pads are brand new oem's and the rotors were recently turned. I have changed pads/rotors more than once, so I feel quite confident that I didn't do anything wrong.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-10-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like they got really hot. Spring Fling is this a track event? But you got them hot was the brake hose twisted?
Old 05-10-2005, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Classic example of getting the brakes too hot and then letting the car sit with the brakes applied.

Those look like the front brakes, though. Normally you see that on the rear when people put on the parking brake.

I wonder -- could the slide pin have gotten stuck? That might cause the pad to stay in contact with the rotor, which would account for both the overheating and the contact with the rotor after the car had stopped.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by hondamanwill,May 10 2005, 06:56 PM
looks like they got really hot. Spring Fling is this a track event? But you got them hot was the brake hose twisted?
Not a track event by any means. It was a Vintage meet! I am a pre-Vint.
And the meet was about 150 miles from my house.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,May 10 2005, 06:58 PM
Classic example of getting the brakes too hot and then letting the car sit with the brakes applied.

Those look like the front brakes, though. Normally you see that on the rear when people put on the parking brake.

I wonder -- could the slide pin have gotten stuck? That might cause the pad to stay in contact with the rotor, which would account for both the overheating and the contact with the rotor after the car had stopped.
Fronts. I've tracked and know not to engage the e-brake after a session.

I removed the plunger boots to check them for wear and what-not, taking great care not to contaminate the grease. I did not add any when reinstalling.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

interesting
Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea what caused that. but, I have to agree with others that it (looks) like brakes were applied and left on when very hot. Nice looking rotors , who make them?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you bed in the new pads and turned rotors? If not, that may have contributed to this issue, but I suspect something more is going on here.

One possibility is that the piston is sticking in its caliper bore and not releasing properly causing the pad to press against the rotor. That could heat the rotor up more than usual and then contact with the pad would allow the mateial to transfer. You've checked the dust boot already, but what I'd do is a caliper service replacing all seals and see if that solves the problem. The rebuild kits are not too expensive (~ $20 each), and the service is not complicated, just a little tedious.

Good luck and let us know what solves this one.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bet is a sticking caliper piston (or you forgot to not brake after some spirited driving which can happen to us all even when we know we should not do it). You can probably put some racing pads on and drive around for a while to grind off the OEM pad material.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:24 AM

Thanks all. Yes, I bedded the pads in as I normally do. I'm inclined to think that it is the piston sticking as a couple of you mentioned.

I have rebuild kits at the house. I didn't swap out seals because the current ones looked good. Again, I did not do any spirited driving on Sunday. I did watch the Ferraris run at Summit Point... maybe it transferred to my PrincesS.

I only removed the plunger boot seals and was able to replace them without a problem. I did not try to remove/inspect the big piston seals. Could the plungers cause the problem?

Quick Reply: Brake pad adhering to rotor