S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake Grease

Old 08-28-2001, 07:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do keep in mind that the aftermarket performance pads will not be as silent as the stock pads. If that is what you are shooting for you may be at it for awhile.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are after market performance pads supposed to squeek on on wheel only though? i

f that is fairly normal, I'll either track the car a couple of days and see if it goes away or I'll live with it...
Old 08-28-2001, 08:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johev
[B]jschmidt - where can I get this wonderful elixer to the ears CRC spray?
Old 08-28-2001, 08:13 AM

i've got porterfields r4s
Old 08-28-2001, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by johev
i've got porterfields r4s
Is it by chance a rear?
Old 08-28-2001, 08:22 AM

it could be on the rt side...it was hard to tell...I had a buddy drive the car and brake while I stood and listened, but he was revving the car up and down the road and wasn't really too helpful....I hate it when they can't just do as they are told and drive it SLOWLY....
Old 08-28-2001, 08:25 AM

Johev,

Your pads may have some dirt embedded, causing the squeak, squeal. Try doing some hard stops, it might stop the squealing. Also, if you've burned off the teflon coating on those anti-squeal shims, replace them.

Hi Mikey,

Keep an eye on those R4Ss, after they get cooked they go downhill. Next thing you'll notice is scoring and glazing of your rotors, caused by crumbling of the friction material and hardening of the compound. You literally, have to stand on your brake pedals to stop the car. Furthermore, excessive brake pressure can lead to fluid boil. And you're headed for Jefferson!! Yikes. This was what happened to me at Summit Point early this summer. Anyway, if you get the chance, try those pads Allan is using, I'm going to try them next. The Hawk Blues are great pads, great feel and wonderful modulation. Confidence inspiring is what best describes these pads, you'll brake later and later. However, you'll have to put them on at the track, 'cause if you use them on the street, they'll eat your rotors, squeals loud and all the time, the brake dust gets baked into your wheels and is impossible to remove. And if gets wet, it'll eat the clear coat off your car. Similar to hard water spots but alot harder to remove. I minimized the damage to my car, thanks to Allan. I missed some spots though, but all is OK now. It was cool to bed-in these pads though, SPARKS would be flying out of your wheel wells, looks like grinding wheel sparks. And to top it all, these pads warped my front rotors, I guess it was from the hard braking in wet conditions scenario. I slowly developed a pulsing brake pedal after the second day at VIR, got so bad the whole car was vibrating during braking. I figure it shouldn't happen in normal dry conditions. And for all the trouble it caused me, I still love this pads, gives me a good excuse to buy new rotors. If the Carbotech Panther Plus are similar in performance, yet streetable, I'm all over those pads. I'll see you guys in October.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:28 AM

thanks for the other suggestions on pads...
Old 08-28-2001, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by johev
it could be on the rt side...it was hard to tell...I had a buddy drive the car and brake while I stood and listened, but he was revving the car up and down the road and wasn't really too helpful....I hate it when they can't just do as they are told and drive it SLOWLY....
You're experiencing exactly what I did. When I installed the R4-S pads, I originally did it without the CRC. One caliper squeaked. On the reinstall I used the Quiet and it worked.

The other advice is to make sure you retract the caliper more than enough to have it slip on easily with the pads in place. If not, you could, I think, get some binding with hot pads. If your pads don't squeak until they are hot, this may also be part of the problem.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:35 AM

sounds like I have some experimenting to do...I'll make sure and retract the caliper enough on the rears...it happens with medium to heavy braking and seems to be less if the pads are hot..

Quick Reply: Brake Grease