S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake Grease

Old 08-27-2001, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't know VIR had race days like summit pt....can you go there any day???? Summit has such a waiting list...I'd like to go to VIR to practice some before tackling Summit PT. I hear it is very technical....I'm a very good driver, but don't really feel like smashing up my car just as I get it all working well and tuned in..
Old 08-27-2001, 11:28 AM

VIR does not have race days like Summit Point's FATT (Friday at the track). You would have to go there with an organization. (Car Guys, Tracktime, Porsche Club) But I wouldn't recommend Summit Point FATT anyway, especially not as your first experience on a closed course track.

Sign up with Tracktime or the Car Guys and attend an instructed event. I'm pretty sure the Car Guys have slots open for Summit Point in two weeks and VIR in October.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:33 AM

Most of these events are 2-3 day events?? I guess you get the most out of a several day event as opposed to a one day???

Thanks for the suggestions...
Old 08-27-2001, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey
[B]

I used it very liberally.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the insite Jim...
Old 08-27-2001, 03:05 PM

I agree with Jim's suggestion to not slop the stuff everywhere. It's messy as hell and I'd hate to get some on the rotors. But I do suggest using it everywhere there will be rubbing of metal to pad or backing plate to metal.

I've used some of the newer purpose built brake anti-squeal products sold at auto-parts stores, but it burned up at the track.

I'm not familiar with the CRC spray you mention, what temperature is it rated to?
Old 08-28-2001, 04:05 AM

Mikey, was the trunk open trick a futile attempt at adding some rear downforce?!

How was the Track Time event? Do they run it pretty much like Car Guys?
Old 08-28-2001, 06:42 AM

Track Time is somewhat better organized than the Car Guys and they don't have Arian's "take it or leave it" attitude, but I still like the Car Guys events better. I found the Track Time event more focused at the novice and other than the actual track time I didn't learn as much as I had hoped.

Bob was running his S2000 on the south course with the club member day event and arranged for me to have a session on the south course on Sunday. The south course has a reputation of being a bit Mickey Mouse, but it's every bit as fun as the north course, very twisty blind corners and very challenging.

I'll try some rubber spacers under the trunk next time to keep it raised a few inches, maybe get some real downforce (joking)
Old 08-28-2001, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Mikey
I'm not familiar with the CRC spray you mention, what temperature is it rated to?
Don't know. The important thing is that the squeak doesn't come back. It doesn't. I can't tell you what it looks like since my last track day. Still working though.

Remember, this is a cosmetic repair. It doesn't provide any performace or safety. Just a little ear comfort. If it doesn't squeak, the product works.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:28 AM

jschmidt - where can I get this wonderful elixer to the ears CRC spray? I'am going to give the anti sieze one more try and then go with the spray....should i wait a few hund. miles first.....?

I put the brakes in about 12 days ago...they squeeked. put anti seize on about 5 days ago...still squeek....what do you think?

Quick Reply: Brake Grease