S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake Grease

Old 08-27-2001, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so your porterfields squeek? I got some anti seize and put it on and they still squeek....what the??? I am going to pull them off and switch the sides maybe....they have about 200 miles on them should I leave them and see if it goes away...any help would be very appreciated...
Old 08-27-2001, 07:56 AM

FYI, the purpose of the stuff is to change the harmonic and stop vibration induced squeak. It doesn't matter what it looks like if it stops the squeak. The CRC stuff I use is more like glue than grease. Except in that it works as above, it's not being used as a lubricant in this application.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:21 AM

Just curious, are you guys getting squeal during light braking, heavy braking or a chirping while rolling free?
Old 08-27-2001, 09:23 AM

light to medium braking....not all wheels though...
Old 08-27-2001, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Allan Haggai
Just curious, are you guys getting squeal during light braking, heavy braking or a chirping while rolling free?
Hey Allan,

I've had no squealing or chirping during light or heavy braking. Sometimes I get a bit of a clunky feel in the pedal though, I didn't have that with the stock pads.

BTW, don't leave your trunk unlatched for a whole session of the north course at VIR . It never opened, just made a bit of noise under heavy braking. I didn't notice it until I returned to the pits, doh!
Old 08-27-2001, 09:50 AM

Mikey - how much goop did you put on the pads between the shims? did you put anti sieze anywhere else??
Old 08-27-2001, 10:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johev
[B]Mikey - how much goop did you put on the pads between the shims?
Old 08-27-2001, 10:34 AM

sounds good. looks like i get to take them all apart and put a little more around where the brakes fit into the calipers...I did between the pads and shims only... thanks for the info.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:35 AM

Mikey - did you track at Summit Pt??? I haven't been up there yet...how is it or where did you go?
Old 08-27-2001, 11:06 AM

Summit Point has two tracks, the main course and the much shorter Jefferson circuit. I've driven both and they are both good, challenging courses.

However, if you're a novice, I'd recommend cutting your teeth at VIR rather than Summit Point. Simply because any of the 3 VIR course configurations are much more forgiving and have a lot more runoff than the Summit Point courses. You can make a huge mistake at VIR and have a good chance of getting out of it with little or no damage. A huge mistake at Summit Point can have huge consequences.

That aside, I'll be at Summit Point Jefferson circuit in two weeks (September 8-9) with the Car Guys (www.carguys.com). They run quality events and typically have very experienced instructors. Jefferson is a short course but is very hard on the brakes, very hard. (http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/JC.HTM) It consists of two straightaways about 1/4 mile long each, I typically hit about 95-100mph by the very hard braking points. The course is only about 1 mile long so there is very little time for the brakes to cool before the next big stop. But I've run 45minute sessions there on a very hot day with no brake problems.

You will need to change to high performance (Ate, Motul, etc...) brake fluid and make sure you have new pads. Stock pads are fine, but you'll likely use them up by the end of the weekend so buy a spare set before heading there.

The next Car Guys event at VIR (www.virclub.com) is October 12,13,14 at the north course and is Highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Brake Grease