S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

brake dust and orange rotors

Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy brake dust and orange rotors

do anyone else have this problem? i have an 04 s2k and some reason, there is alot of brake dust that gets on the rims in the front. also, the rotors are really rusty inbetween... you know the gap between the 2 sides of the brake disk where it vents... is that usual? i live in cali and the s2k only has 1400 miles... not sure if this is normal or not.. i usually wash it once every 3-4 days but man the front rims get brake dusted like after 1 day of driving to work. can anyone recommend a good brand brake i can switch to? ie, porterfield, axxis metal masters? something with little or no brake dust. thanks guys/gals
Old 08-25-2005, 12:43 AM

My 04 does the same thing its kind of weird to see your rotor get rusty from a car wash but it does. Drive down the road and the rust is gone.

Now for the brake dust I got tired of washing in between each spoke on the 04 stock rims. So I bought a Gas powered pressure washer from sams club for $299.99 it has a Honda 5.5hp engine on it 2500 psi its so nice now. All you do is point at the rims and all the dust is gone no washing by hand anymore.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by xxxqme,Aug 25 2005, 08:43 AM
My 04 does the same thing its kind of weird to see your rotor get rusty from a car wash but it does. Drive down the road and the rust is gone.

Now for the brake dust I got tired of washing in between each spoke on the 04 stock rims. So I bought a Gas powered pressure washer from sams club for $299.99 it has a Honda 5.5hp engine on it 2500 psi its so nice now. All you do is point at the rims and all the dust is gone no washing by hand anymore.
yea just watch out you dont hit the side wall of the tyre with the spray.

i have an old black and decker pressure washer, and one of my friends managed to go through the side wall of his tyre when cleaning it as he got too close and the water just cut a hole

the rims are fine to get as close as you want, but rule of thumb, dont get any closer than 1 - 1 1/2 feet from the tyres
Old 08-25-2005, 01:57 AM

MY00-03 brake pad's dust considerably less than the MY04-05 brake pad's and will fit as the caliper's are identical.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brake dust and rotor rust are completely normal. Some owners have used cadmium plated rotors to decrease the rust concern, but after the plating gets worn off, they start rusting again.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:02 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Get the MY 00-03 brake pads OEM,they dust a lot less,and they fit OK.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Aug 25 2005, 05:22 AM
Brake dust and rotor rust are completely normal. Some owners have used cadmium plated rotors to decrease the rust concern, but after the plating gets worn off, they start rusting again.
I had cadmium rotors on my Alfa and the cadmium wears off very quick.

Try using a good wheel cleaner and spend some time really cleaning out the wheel and caliper when you wash the car. A general rule of thumb in detailing is that the wheels should take up about 65% of the total car washing-drying time. Waxing the wheel and inside the wheel rim also helps because the brake dust doesn't stick as well. You can also give the rotor a once over with a clean dry towel when the car is completely dry to pick up any remaining dust.

I don't recommend a pressure washer anywhere near the car. Think of washing the car as you would wash a horse; a horse wouldn't like the high pressure....
Old 08-25-2005, 11:57 AM

One thing that I've done to slow the rust down on my stock rotors is to paint the edges with a rust preventitive paint called POR-15. It's sold on the web, just do a search to find it. I've painted the edges of my rotors front and rear, and also the inside part of the rotors towards the hub (but NOT anything that the pads will touch). Although I've found that this kind of thing won't prevent rust from occuring on the rotors, it does slow it down alot. Looks like they now offer different colors also.
I don't track my car, so I don't know if this would stand up to a car that sees alot of track use, but they do offer high-heat formulations of this paint also. So far, it seems to be a cost-effective way of slowing down rotor rust on the edges with no disadvantages.
I used a small brush and took my time with the painting, and I did it the same time that I painted the calipers.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:05 PM

ok.. thanks guys for all the input... i will be going to my local honda dealer today! anyone ever try the axxis pads b4?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:30 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by cleveland_guy24,Aug 25 2005, 02:57 PM
One thing that I've done to slow the rust down on my stock rotors is to paint the edges with a rust preventitive paint called POR-15.
Sounds interesting

Quick Reply: brake dust and orange rotors