S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake Bleeder

Old 10-01-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Oct 1 2006, 06:23 PM
I prefer bleeding the "old fashioned way" with the help of an assistant. This allows me to monitor the fluid coming out of the system.
So does pressure bleeding. And you don't have to keep cracking the bleed valves open-close-open-close-open-close ad nauseum.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:01 PM

True, and my point continues on to mention that my solution costs substatially less.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a false economy. A two person bleed is slower and more error prone. I don't know how you value your time but, buying something for $55 which saves me many hours of time over the long haul is money well spent.

Don't be "Penny wise and pound foolish". I'll happily pay for convenience and time savings. I also expect you'll get more consistent results with the pressure bleeder.

If you've never used one, you don't know what you're missing. I used one at a track event and was sold.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 AM

I'm happy to try something new. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone down here in the SE with such a system. My buddies and I can do a complete flush in about 10-15 minutes, and a bleed in a couple of minutes, so I can't imagine how much faster the vacuum system would be. Maybe one of the venders could ship one down here for evaluation and I'll be happy to buy one and promote it's virtues if confirmed with experience.

I don't know what kind of error you're worried about, but I've never experienced one. Maybe it's because I only use highly trained brake pedal pumpers .
Old 10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one I use isn't vacuum, I've had no luck bleeding with a vacuum pump on the bleeder nipples. Normally you suck air around the threads instead of fluid out of the caliper.

With the pressure bleeder, to do a full flush you add fluid to the bleeder tank, clamp the cap on the MC then pump the tank to 15 PSI, next go from wheel to wheel, cracking the nipple and catching the fluid in a bottle. As the fluid in the MC goes down, the fluid from the tank is pumped into the MC so, you don't have to constantly add fluid.

It's usually 2 am when I'm bleeding the brakes so, my normal helper's asleep.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Geez, you guys must be made of money to spend it on things you don't need.

I just put a loop in the flexible drain tubing before pointing it into an empty water bottle. It keeps fluid in the line and prevents any air from backing into the caliper. Costs all of $1 and takes the same amount of time..............without having to bother anyone else to help.

I've used this technique at least a dozen times and never had any issues.

Word to the wise.......

-Hockey
Old 10-02-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hockey,Oct 2 2006, 02:20 PM
without having to bother anyone else to help.
How you figure? How do you hold down the pedal and close the bleed value?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

True DIY bleeder

http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm
Old 10-02-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Oct 2 2006, 08:56 AM
I'm happy to try something new. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone down here in the SE with such a system. My buddies and I can do a complete flush in about 10-15 minutes, and a bleed in a couple of minutes, so I can't imagine how much faster the vacuum system would be. Maybe one of the venders could ship one down here for evaluation and I'll be happy to buy one and promote it's virtues if confirmed with experience.

I don't know what kind of error you're worried about, but I've never experienced one. Maybe it's because I only use highly trained brake pedal pumpers .
But you have to rely on someone being available to help, which isn't always the case.

I've done the push and hold many times before and once in a while you get a car that just doesn't have the right pedal feel you expect. I've hooked them up to the pressure bleeder and it always felt better afterwards.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by speed_bump,Oct 2 2006, 05:32 PM
The Motive bleeder is pretty much the same thing, and only a little more expensive than trying to rig one up yourself. Worth the money, IMO.

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeder