S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

bouncey revs on deceleration

Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by robert112,Jun 20 2007, 10:06 PM
Okay.

I have explained this very poorly BUT mxt_77 is on the right track, it's more to do with a "thrust" thing rather than the accelerator cable.

it's not like the engine is actually making the revs bounce by feeding it gas

it's more like when i down shift ANY gear and don't pay very close attention to riding the clutch and smoothly letting off it bounces the whole car and makes the revs go 'vnnnnn vnnn vnn vn" again
shedrivesit: r u happy now? lol

it feels like an engine mount or gear box mount is broken and one of them is lose and bouncing around ...

imagine a laerner trying to take off in 1st gaer and letting go of the clutch to early. you get a hop/bounce. it's a little similair to that but on down gearing and it's very excessive i have to try really hard not to cause it.
Yes, Robert, very happy and "thanks for playing our game".

For some reason I thought you might be describing what you are now which sounds like some sort of excessive drivetrain lash.

My MY04 does not do this (yes, after making fun I specifically screwed around with my car last night to see if I could detect what you were describing). Of course mine is an AP2 with standard rear end.

I'd have it looked at.

Maybe others can chime in with some troubleshooting techniques.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RACER: It happens in ANY gear.

SheDrivesIt: Okay i'll get it checked out tomorrow and report back what I found.

I seriously suspect broken or stretched gearbox mount. anyway, find out tomorrow I guess.

Thanks guys
Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

You know Robert, I screwed around again last night after work and I can get my car to do what you described. I have to be in a low gear and heavy throttle and then lift completely (note to others, obviously don't try this while cornering).

As the car rocks forward from accelleration load to decel load, it affects the revs slightly as it rocks back and you get a very slight vnnnnnnn, vnnn, vnnn. It is not pronounced as you described and I have to work to make it happen. I would attribute this to some minor drivetrain lash. There has to be some play in the rear end and in the CV joints. There are also the issues prop shaft flex and chassis flex but these would be very slight.

Your 4.77 rear would most likely amplify the issue since it effectively puts you in a lower gear for each selection. If you really have to work to keep the problem from happening, I suspect there is a problem.

Good luck.