S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bought S2K - gearbox whine &gearshifts

Old 09-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought S2K - gearbox whine &gearshifts

Hi There,

I have just purchased a 2000 model S2k, with 63,000 kms on the clock. Its in very good clean condition. I test drove before i bought it and everything was fine, but after driving it for a few days i've noticed a few things;

1) Gearbox whine? When cruising along at 60/80 kph, and the car is in 5th or 6th and just maintaining speed- i can hear a sound that appears to come from the gearbox, the sound is similar to a power drill like noise.....like a whirr. when the car is in 4th gear at 60-80kph it doesnt' make the noise but the car sounds like its being over revved/noisy which i why i pop it into 5th or 6th to cruise smoothly. Is this cause for concern? Should i not have the car in such a high gear at slower speeds? I understand that a lot of s2k's are prone to gearbox/diff whine. if its normal then i'll live with it - i just dont want to wreck anything.

2) Shifting gears. Is it normal to feel a soft notch/bump when going from say 1'st gear into neutral, then from neutral to 2nd gear? or should it be silky smooth? The notch is not the gears hitting each other, its more like a cushion between neutral and each gear? I'm not sure on the gearboxes on these things my last car was a skyline r33 and it shifted very smoothly between gears. I'm not sure if this is just the s2k gearbox.

Has anyone else experienced these things?

The car was bought from a dealer and is under warranty for 3 years.

any ideas?
Old 09-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Banned

I will of course report this to the dealer but as you know they can tell you anything; which is why i wanted to see if anyone else had any experiences with things like this so i could arm myself with some more information.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAPCAB,Sep 15 2005, 07:21 PM
Hi There,

I have just purchased a 2000 model S2k, with 63,000 kms on the clock. Its in very good clean condition. I test drove before i bought it and everything was fine, but after driving it for a few days i've noticed a few things;

1) Gearbox whine? When cruising along at 60/80 kph, and the car is in 5th or 6th and just maintaining speed- i can hear a sound that appears to come from the gearbox, the sound is similar to a power drill like noise.....like a whirr. when the car is in 4th gear at 60-80kph it doesnt' make the noise but the car sounds like its being over revved/noisy which i why i pop it into 5th or 6th to cruise smoothly. Is this cause for concern? Should i not have the car in such a high gear at slower speeds? I understand that a lot of s2k's are prone to gearbox/diff whine. if its normal then i'll live with it - i just dont want to wreck anything.

2) Shifting gears. Is it normal to feel a soft notch/bump when going from say 1'st gear into neutral, then from neutral to 2nd gear? or should it be silky smooth? The notch is not the gears hitting each other, its more like a cushion between neutral and each gear? I'm not sure on the gearboxes on these things my last car was a skyline r33 and it shifted very smoothly between gears. I'm not sure if this is just the s2k gearbox.

Has anyone else experienced these things?

The car was bought from a dealer and is under warranty for 3 years.

any ideas?
1. You're gonna notice a little more noise than with previousl cars. The S2k is a very visceral experience, and you'll occasionally hear some of the gearbox whining.

2. Yeah, mine is typically jerky no matter how smoothly I try to shift. This is yet another one of the S2k's charms. The nice thing about this car is that you get to feel, and hear, everything that's going on with the car. Take it or leave it; I personally think it's awesome!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:16 PM

The noise is hard to give an opinion on due to all the factors. Depending on your previous vehicles, the noise may be extreme. But for an S2K, it might be normal. Too hard to tell over the internet. Maybe find someone local with an S2K and compare?

As for the gearbox, it's not as "cushiony" as other cars. If you can get anything useful from the search engine you'll learn a lot (it's on and off).
Old 09-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Former Moderator

Do you know if this car has had 4.57's installed? Sounds almost like ring and pinion whine.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Banned

thanks for the replies guys.

Yes after a few days i've got used to it; its just a change from going from a shitty 1994 skyline into the s2k.

the first few days i seemed to be burning the clutch quite a lot; after a few days i've learned how to drive the s2k properly without burning the clutch; and most importantly driving it smoothly although i'm finding it very hard to drive it without taking it to 9k rpm all the time!

nice cars very happy with it. Cruised around with the top down yesterday....bloody awesome!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some new transmission fluid in it too, that should help out the notchiness a bit.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 PM

I just bought a MY00 S2K lastnight actually. I noticed the shifting "notch" too when i drove it around all day. It just feels very mechanical.

The only problem I am really having with the car is the crazy "buzzing/grinding" sound that occurs when i let off the gas and slow down. I've heard some rumors of a TSB #00054 about a buzzing on deceleration but I have not read any information about it being fixed or what the problem actually was. It honestly sounds like the clutch suddering but I have no idea if it is something to worry about. I guess if it breaks I will find out.

Also, regarding the TSB, I searched it and alldata.com doesnt release information on honda TSB's anymore. If you do have a solution or TSB repot on this problem please feel free to let me know.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:35 PM

Cany somebody post the TSB for this problem, or what the fix is. Mine has that whining noise when accelerating also. I may be taking it to the dealer soon. Thanks