S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bought s2k with frame damage

Old 02-06-2016, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try to sell it for the same price u bought it for, maybe less. Its a lesson learned..ive been there before too. Id sell it soon since its tax season and im very sure some civic, integra kids would love to hop on this "cheap low mileage" s2000. Hell i traded my rebuilt title SHELL for a running 02 rsx type s with low miles.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well... The good news is that I dont think the shop was out to screw you. You have a very bad "tijuana job". They didnt even bother replacing $30 parts, just pounded everything with hammers. The whole core support assembly is scary, and the upper rails are trash, which is the cause of the poor hood and fender fit. But I still didn't think it was all that bad until I saw the left lower rail covered in bondo and undercoating. Very scary. Nothing will ever be right if the lower rails are not straight and sound. And if you have those replaced, then everything else follows. Punt it.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

the pictures seal the deal, I would not rebuild this car.

too much bullshit.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Papi10
Also he was saying to me about the photos the guy took of where there is bondo or whatever it is that it wont affect alignment and that was something that thebodyshop wouldnt have even fixed according to the quote.
Yes, they did quote that. It is the left lower rail. The Lower rails are the key to everything else in the front lining up right. Everything else branches off those.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 AM

Gotcha I realize that now
Old 02-06-2016, 09:27 AM

Thanks for picture it make this thread interesting.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell it and cut your losses. There is no way to rationalize attempting to fix it. The issues will haunt your thoughts even after its "fixed." Sorry this happened - I once bought an older 4Runner (not the one I own now) which I later found out had serious ODO rollback (to the tune of a 150k mile rollback). It sucks, but thats life. The best thing I did was just sell it and take a little loss.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 126 Posts

I am really surprised that this car would pass a mechanical safety inspection, how did you get the car plated and insured?
Old 02-06-2016, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hfreak
I am really surprised that this car would pass a mechanical safety inspection, how did you get the car plated and insured?
Bought from New York with a rebuilt title. Ive read this can mean different things depending on which state you live in. Some states don't differentiate between salvage and rebuilt. But as far as CT and NY go.. a rebuilt title is a car that has been fixed and has passed a safety inspection and is deemed safe for the road. Now before I bought it I payed for the car fax in which it said the car recently passed a safety inspection this passed fall and was registered in NY. CT will register a rebuilt title without having to do a safety inspection since "rebuilt" registers the same as a clean title (obviously I can attest to this). So I have no idea how the hell it passed inspection in NY, maybe it just says something about the state inspection itself. OR the guy hit a median between the time of the inspection and the sale to me. He then probably just limped it to some hack shop to throw it together. Always get a look underneath the car for yourself. My mistake, never again. Lesson learned.

However the mileage was well documented in the car fax so I think I can at least rest assured the mileage is what is says in regards to parting it out.

Thanks all
Old 02-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 126 Posts

That is very unfortunate.

In Canada, a vehicle must go through a safety inspection whenever there is a change of ownership. If a car like that passed such an inspection here, the garage would be held responsible to repair the vehicle to within the safety standards as long as the damage was existing at the time of inspection.

Good luck with whatever path you take.

Quick Reply: Bought s2k with frame damage