S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bought s2k with frame damage

Old 02-05-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Papi10
Originally Posted by 92gli' timestamp='1454696332' post='23872463
First, be wary when you walk into a body shop and ask for a quote on a non-insurance job. That estimate looks like their wet dream.
I need to know why they said it's necessary to replace all the rails and aprons AND all the suspension components. They think everything forward of the firewall is garbage?
Without seeing it in person or lots of close up pics with partial disassembly, it's impossible to say for sure. And inevitably, once they take it apart they will tell you that the headlights are cracked, this other thing was broken, etc.
The guy was polite but I kept reiterating that I simply just wanted repairs done to get it aligned and safe. He would never just answer this question head on and told me I cant drive it at all and that I should either go all the way with this or do nothing at all. He did however email me plenty of photos to illustrate why he needed to do everything he said so perhaps you can help me make sense of it. Last night I talked with my friends brother about this who used to work on auto collision back in italy ( he works as an engineer now and doesn't fix cars for a living anymore). He basically said I can get the car aligned for way less with replacing the sub frame, steering knuckle, wheel bearing, and I think he said control arms if they are messed up. The only problem area is the front left of the car. Also he was saying to me about the photos the guy took of where there is bondo or whatever it is that it wont affect alignment and that was something that thebodyshop wouldnt have even fixed according to the quote. He said the frame just isnt going to fall apart on the road like the guy said and that theres plenty of actual support left.

Last edited by Papi10; 04-02-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:45 PM

D

Last edited by Papi10; 04-02-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:46 PM

D

My bad if there are doubles. So my friend's brother is telling me that yes the frame might be a bit bent but Its still something I can drive... After replacing necessary parts

Last edited by Papi10; 04-02-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:13 PM

This is a hard decision. You must be contemplating pretty hardly what to do! If I were in your shoes, I would be happy to sell it for a small lost on Craigslist. It doesn't seem worth it to fix. If your mechanically inclined and you want a little project, this s2000 would make a good doner vehicle. Perhaps you can swap the engine and drive train into something interesting (like an old Datsun 510) and part out the rest. That'll be awesome! But the easy route would be to sell it and cut your losses.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

You are $7k deep and willing to spend another $10k for a car that won't ever be worth that? Probably not even half that? You know you can get a clean safe unwrecked s2000 for $17k right? I mean it's your money and also your safety but whatever. Hope you won't be driving next to me anytime soon.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
You are $7k deep and willing to spend another $10k for a car that won't ever be worth that? Probably not even half that? You know you can get a clean safe unwrecked s2000 for $17k right? I mean it's your money and also your safety but whatever. Hope you won't be driving next to me anytime soon.
No, no way I'm shelling out 10k on it. I was really just looking to see if 10k was realistic and it seems that figure is going to be the ballpark price.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to a frame shop and have them make some pulls to get it in alignment then replace parts.

Look on the web, even a front subframe can be had fairly cheap... shipped even.

There's no way you'll get this back to original without a ton of money, but you can still get it into usable shape.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by james0933
Take it to a frame shop and have them make some pulls to get it in alignment then replace parts.

Look on the web, even a front subframe can be had fairly cheap... shipped even.

There's no way you'll get this back to original without a ton of money, but you can still get it into usable shape.
Yeah, I have another place in mind to take it to tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it pulled back into alignment to make it drivable. If not I will sell for a loss. Thanks errbody I'll update with whatever I do.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Part out. If the initial estimate is 10k, they will likely find more damage.

You should be able to make back the purchase price and a little something for your efforts. The motor and seats (if in good shape) alone will get you a long way to break even.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Man, rust city on top off all this. At 7k, its not that bad when you consider all the low mileage parts - IF you part it out! Its a terrible idea inmop to put any money into this car to try and rebuild. Not only is it always going to be a diminished value car, hard to sell with that title, but I would never feel comfortable behind the wheel of this thing and no matter how well the fixes were, it would always feel like a wounded car/platform that I would second guess driving hard and or performing any go fast mods for, which is half the fun when owning one of these cars. I assume all the drivetrain, body and interior peices are in nice low mile shape, so you have a great parts car. Pick up another s2k with a good title and history.

Quick Reply: Bought s2k with frame damage