S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bottom End Rebuild Help

Old 08-24-2024, 03:54 AM

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,073 Posts

So-called professional S2000 engine rebuilds have a high failure rate at least as reported here.

This car seems a prime candidate for a K24 engine -- but it won't cost $2,000. But even $10,000 more makes total cost under $15,000 compared to $25,000+ asking prices for fully functional cars. Lost my notes but there are at least a couple of shops which specialize in this swap and almost like the LS engines the Ks and their parts are everywhere at decent prices. Of course there are also LS swaps!

Looking forward to progress.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
micro Graham (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 05:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
A rebuild is going to cost you as much or more than a good used engine. And the success rate is low, so it may not even work out for more than a few months.

Or is there some other factor than cost that makes a used engine a no-go?
A used engine isnt necessarily a no-go. I just dont have the money to put down to get one.

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Success rate is low if you don't follow directions, or try to use non-oem stuff. Agree about the price. You take a chance with a used engine, you also take a chance with a re-build, costs are similar.
Seems like finding a good used engine is probably going to be easier than trying for a rebuild. Until I take the head off (which kinda scares me tbh) I won't know for sure if this block is savable.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
So-called professional S2000 engine rebuilds have a high failure rate at least as reported here.

This car seems a prime candidate for a K24 engine -- but it won't cost $2,000. But even $10,000 more makes total cost under $15,000 compared to $25,000+ asking prices for fully functional cars. Lost my notes but there are at least a couple of shops which specialize in this swap and almost like the LS engines the Ks and their parts are everywhere at decent prices. Of course there are also LS swaps!
I am toying with the idea of a K-swap. I want an F22, but if it doesn't seam feasible, then K-swap it is. I bought an expensive car with a small budget. So unfortunately it seems like I won't be able to get this car going before winter. Especially since it needs consumables as well like tires, brakes, all of the fluids, etc. But hey, at 19 years old, an S2000 is a pretty cool car to have. (Even if it's just a lawn ornament.)
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I can provide more info if you want me to, just let me know! Ill keep you updated best I can. You guys rock, I love this community.!
The following 2 users liked this post by micro Graham:
jnewtons2k (08-24-2024), windhund116 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 06:25 AM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Do you know how to get an S2000 with a K24 (or any other non-stock engine) legal for the street? I'm not sure that combo will pass for CA roads.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2024, 06:41 AM

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,073 Posts

We know the bottom end is scrap so we just need to know how the rest of the block is.

Removing the cylinder head is NOT a trivial process so download the Honda Service Manual and familiarize yourself with the procedures. A good head and related parts all have value on the used market, even if the rest of the block is bad, as I'm sure you're discovering as you start this journey. Got a clean place you can leave the car or at least the engine in semi-disassembled condition for the winter while you work on it?

-- Chuck
micro Graham (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
We know the bottom end is scrap so we just need to know how the rest of the block is.

Removing the cylinder head is NOT a trivial process so download the Honda Service Manual and familiarize yourself with the procedures. A good head and related parts all have value on the used market, even if the rest of the block is bad, as I'm sure you're discovering as you start this journey. Got a clean place you can leave the car or at least the engine in semi-disassembled condition for the winter while you work on it?

-- Chuck
Alright, I'll look into removing the head. If the block turns out bad, would it make more sense to just get a block and bottom end components, or just go ahead and get a new engine, and sell the good stuff left over from my current engine? Either way, it's gonna be more expensive than I was hoping. But I have all winter to save and build the engine. This is certainly a learning experience for me.
windhund116 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 07:24 AM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Are used S2000 short blocks available?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2024, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Are used S2000 short blocks available?
Seems like it. Theres plenty of stuff on ebay from what i could see. Its worth checking your local S2000 FB group to see if anyone has something.
Old 08-24-2024, 08:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Micro,
There is a shop here that can rebuild a bad crank that may cost less than replacing it, and they do good work. They return the bad journals to stock dimensions by welding and grinding. Even with shipping it will cost less than a different crank, unless every journal is bad. And Plastigage is worth using, The directions are on the little folder it comes in so read it. You just need to know the stock bearing clearances in thousands of an inch to decide things.
If you need the address of the crank shop let me know. I have used them successfully.
Larry
Old 08-24-2024, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by larry resnick
Hi Micro,
There is a shop here that can rebuild a bad crank that may cost less than replacing it, and they do good work. They return the bad journals to stock dimensions by welding and grinding. Even with shipping it will cost less than a different crank, unless every journal is bad. And Plastigage is worth using, The directions are on the little folder it comes in so read it. You just need to know the stock bearing clearances in thousands of an inch to decide things.
If you need the address of the crank shop let me know. I have used them successfully.
Larry
Appreciated. I'll let you know if I need the service done. It might be a couple of days.
Old 08-24-2024, 05:07 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

For checking bores, you can destroy head if you don't remove its bolts properly. Correct sequence and correct amount to loosen each iteration through the sequence. That's why need manual.

The problem with regrinding this crank seems to come down to hardening and polish. What works on other engines hasn't worked here. I'm not aware of a single successful crank regrind on this motor (success = talk to me when you've got 20k+ miles, not 2k miles).

I'm sure they're out there, but no one has shared what was done and by who.

Quick Reply: Bottom End Rebuild Help