S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Both O2 sensors CEL, and about 10mpg city gas mileage

Old 02-28-2014, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both O2 sensors CEL, and about 10mpg city gas mileage

removed
Old 02-28-2014, 06:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

10mpg is really low.

pull all the codes and list them.

check the o2 sensors. if they have been spliced order new ones.

heat not working means the cooling system has air and needs to be flushed or bled properly. use honda type II coolant.

change out that fram filter to an OEM one.

report back.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So this car was previously turbo'd or something? Was the motor that's currently in the car recently swapped in? Any explination to why these things were all unplugged? Seems like if the previous owner had turbo'd the car (reason for battery relocation) and blew the old motor out then swapped in a new motor before selling (reason for unplugged stuff).

Its likely your O2 sensors are unplugged at the plug right near the sensor (clipped to the transmission). If that's not it, pull the sensors out and make sure the tips are still intact. I think you can check the voltage on them somehow to see if they're good or not. Otherwise you might need to replace them.

1. Malfunctioning O2 sensors can screw up your gas mileage. Seeeeveral other things can as well, though.

2. Check your intake manifold vacuum ports and lines to see if any are missing or cracked. You can also pull your Idle Control Valve (ICV or IACV) and clean it following a DIY found on this site.

3. Its obvious you have air in your coolant system. Again if the previous owner swapped the engine recently he would have had to drain the system and refill when done. Follow Billman's DIY on bleeding the coolant system found on this site. Your heat should blow HOT when the engine gets up to temp, even when sitting at idle. Don't drive the car if its not.

I can't help much on the AC system not working. Check to see if power is making it to the compressor. Does the compressor kick on when you press the AC button with the car on? If not then there's your problem. If so, then maybe you don't have any refridgerant in your lines? Leak somewhere?

4. I don't know what those go to, but those two connectors look the same and are in the exact spots where the OEM horns mount. Maybe those plug into the horns? I've never actually seen what the horn plug looks like.

5. Again, I've never seen what the connections to the horns look like. What year car is this BTW?

6. I would start by tracing the wires that were run to the trunk back up to the front of the car. You should be able to spot where the previous owner spliced those large gauge wires into the factory harness. You could clip them there and re-crimp on new battery connectors at the OEM harness location.