S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bosch UNiversal o2 Sensor questions

Old 10-03-2005, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch UNiversal o2 Sensor questions

So my inspection is WAY past due.. probably getting fined $250 for failure to get it done by the set date. But I tried... and still came up short. Friday evening I purchase a Bosch Universal Secondary o2 sensor and installed it Saturday afternoon, reset the ECU and still have a CEL. Some shops told me that Id have to drive for 100-150 miles before the ECU would have an accurate reading and turn the CEL off. Ive never heard of this before with the s2000 so I was unsure of the reliability of that information. But nonetheless I have driven that many miles and still have the CEL. If anyone is familiar with the Bosch sensor it has the exact same colored wires as the existing factory ones. 1 black 1 grey and 2 white... the only 2 things I can think of as far as why I still have the CEL is the 2 white wires do have a specific polarity and it matters that they are wired the right way(despite what the directions said) or the Cat itself is messing with the sensor. I know the "charcoal filters" in the cat are loose but I dont feel that would cause the CEL to go on. I also tried making a Mechanical O2 sensor simulator but when I drilled to 1/2" the sensor tip still wouldnt fit (too big) so I had to take the test pipe off and put on my old cat, which I dont want to do for fear of it destroying the new sensor. Anyone have ideas???? BTW, I had the computer scanned for the CEL codes and it is the secondary sensor thats causing the CEL (Bank 1 sensor 2).
Old 10-04-2005, 06:06 AM

Old 10-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait how did you reset the ECU? Did it come back on as soon as you started the car? That shouldn't happen, it should still take a few cycles if I remember right.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 AM

I plucked the fuse from under the dash. It didnt come on immediately... it was off for about 5-10 seconds then came back on.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure you have code reader and it is the o2 sensor code. it might be something else... also have you seen this thread? https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry4524211

I do not have CEL for O2 sensor yet since I've done it. hope it helps.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:26 AM

Yea, i read that thread awhile back. It is the secondary o2 sensor. I took it to Autozone and they pulled the code and ran it thru their computer and if i had it in front of me I could tell exactly what code it is... but it had a read out underneath it and it was stating it was the secondary sensory nonetheless.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:35 AM

BTW, I didnt use the wire harness and all that other stuff that came with the Bosch sensor... I just spliced them in and used some shrink wrapping on the wires. THe white wires are irrelevant as far as which goes to which white wire correct? I really hope my bad cat hasnt destroyed it already but I think it has... so Ill be doing this again soon, not to mention the CEL is still on. THis weekend I will try again... btw... im thinking of screwing the Cat ( ) and putting the test pipe back on with the mech o2 sim. I just need to know 2 things before I do that... will it fit in the mech o2 simulator and if so... can someone manufacture one for me? Ill cover the costs and shipping.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolemike,Oct 3 2005, 11:39 AM
Some shops told me that Id have to drive for 100-150 miles before the ECU would have an accurate reading and turn the CEL off
Don't go to those shops anymore.

The drive is to complete the drive cycle and run the monitor to complete, not reset the light.

You have a crossed wire, or a skewed (out of parameter) sensor, plain and simple.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:50 PM

Hey Bill, just out of curiosity... (please forgive me.. its been a hectic day here at the office). But what do you mean by "out of parameter/ skewed sensor?".
Old 10-10-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Let's start with the EXACT code number. There is more than one code for the B1S2 02.

Quick Reply: Bosch UNiversal o2 Sensor questions