S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Boost info needed !

Old 10-13-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info fperra I really appreciate it.Thats probably what I will do any ways 12-14 psi. dyno day is next week so I ll keep all of you posted.Any one else with some info please feel free to give your inputs.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I understand your concerns regarding the stock block and lots of boost. I am under the impression that these cylinders are good for 9 or 10 lbs of boost with 11:1 compression. I know of one supercharger running 12 lbs. Superchargers are quite different from turbos in the amount of time spent at max boost. I am not aware of any S2000 running over 12 lbs boost with a stock bottom end.

With your 9:1 compression and Alaniz head I would expect you to see 400 hp at 14 lbs of boost.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:45 AM

i'd guess a bit more than that You're quoting average S/C power numbers. The flow rate on that snail is pretty damn high. Should be closer to 450rwhp on pump gas with those mods. If not, he'll need a new tuner since that output should easy to get with 93 octane.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:57 AM

450rwhp is ALL I would run on a stock motor. It can go up more most likely but when you drive it around daily at that power, best to keep it as low as you can.

I've seen civics get 412whp with 1.8 liter motors that only rev to 8000rpm's at 14psi with that turbo. Let's just hope the manifold is upto the task of efficiently getting that air out since we know the alaniz head is gonna throw a bunch at its way.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:10 AM

thnks for the input guys!!

I dont wanna risk reaching 450 rwhp...lol I am too scared of harming the engine the block being completely stock worries me a lot and I dont want a rod flying out the side of the motor.But yea I am just hoping to reach 400-410 rwhp with this set up.I will definatley daily drive it at 9 psi...and when I need to race or when I feel like stomping on it I ll turn it up to 12-14 psi.Either way I am gonna run diff maps for diff octane levels, I ll run 93 oct daily but use race fuel occasionally.I should be getting some pics of the manifold today so keep on cheking I ll post em up.

any more inputs feel free. thanks again
Old 10-14-2004, 06:27 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll be curious to see the results of the various maps you develop and test. We added timing to high octane and my engine didn't give up any real HP. I think it wants more boost and a tighter sparkplug gap.

The way UL has mine set up I could run on 87 octane regular. No knock at all with a large safety margin.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:21 AM

Heres the link to the pics.Let me know what you guys think.As far as I am concerned I am not too amazed with the manifold, I feel as if the runners are a little too small...especially when I have a lot of flow coming from the head work that was done by joe.Another thing I was thinking of is that I have a stock intake manifold and a stock throttle body and I saw the pipping that goes from the throttle body to the front mount and it was made to measure 3 INCHES!! Is ithis an over kil, would it be too big with the stock throttle body and stock intake manifold?
What I think are the benefits and none benefits on the flow of this setup are the following.

BENEFITS:
-3 inch pipping from throttle body to fmic
-3 inch down pipe
-Joe alaniz head work

NON BENEFITS:
-stock intake manifold
-stock throttle body
-small runners on the manifold (may be too small but I could be wrong)

Well..heres the links and tell me your opinions thanks

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/showthre...2062#post372062
Old 10-14-2004, 10:47 AM

You're going to see heavy turbulence entering the TB. Even 70mm overbore TB's are more like 2.75" inlet. It's ok to go from a small opening to large, but going from large to small creates a pressure wave going back.

Dont worry about the runners too much as the stock runner length and diameter is perfectly fine. Increasing the plenum volume will gain you more power but totally unnecessary for what you're looking for. If you get a larger TB, be sure to port match it on the intake manifold as well. Polishing the rough surfaces inside helps a lot but be careful since you could possibly create a plane that will angle the air flow incorrectly from OEM to something very negative.

*edit* which runners are you talking about? I thought intake runners
Old 10-14-2004, 10:58 AM

the turbo manifold runners .... naw the intake manifold is staying stock
Old 10-16-2004, 08:24 AM

Got an update on the car...my shop is changing the setup on the downpipe they will run in 2.5 inches now instead of 3 they said it will run better because it will build to much back pressure with 3 inch and the exhuast piping will be done 2.5 inches (dual hks with re-done pipping mandrol bend stainless steel) I am kinda spectical about this so any comments or inputs....fell free

thnks

Quick Reply: Boost info needed !