S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bonnet Catch Release Spring

Old 10-22-2019, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonnet Catch Release Spring

Quick intro: I used to be on this forum a long time ago though not a prime contributor and with a long forgotten by me user name. I'm a 2002 S2k owner from new and in the early days got some good advice here and finally after many years have returned to try and give something back.

Like a few people here my bonnet catch release spring rusted through and leaving me with a locked bonnet. After searching here I got some tips from some old, old threads on how to get it open but they all seemed to end with saying that Honda only sold the complete mechanism and not just a replacement spring. Quite frankly I baulked at the thought of paying over £50 for a new oem assembly (Part no. is 74120-S2A-A05 if anyone is interested) for the sake of a single spring. And I didn't want to buy second hand as who knows what condition the spring might be in (plus they're still not cheap)

Anyway, long story short I started hunting around eBay looking for a suitable spring replacement. Bought a couple that weren't up to the task and then found one that has been working for the last several months without a hint of a problem.So I thought I'd share. I'm not into giving people on eBay free advertising, other buying platforms are available as are plenty of sellers but the thing you want to search for is a hooked tension spring 2.0mm wire diameter,15mm outer diameter, 60mm length (including hooks) usually written in the form 2mm*15mm*60mm. The one I bought cost £2.48 including postage. It takes longer to open the jammed bonnet than it does to fit the spring even with my stubby fingers. The original spring had the hooks perpendicular to each other whereas mine didn't but it fitted fine so I wouldn't worry about that detail. One tip if you can't unlock the bonnet - try doing it on a hot day after running the engine. This should soften up the congealed grease a bit which really does help. The I bought the replacement in July and open the bonnet at least once a week, It is all still working fine.

Hope this helps someone out.

Mods: I used to whinge about the search on this forum being rubbish, I assume it is now ok and the info above isn't a repeat of something I couldn't find. I haven't been a regular here for a long time so I might well have missed huge sections where all this is picked over time and again to the point of boredom. If so, feel free to delete this thread or make sarcastic comments below, I'm not precious.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:17 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

Welcome back! All S2000s are precious according to the great Honda in the sky...

Nice fix! I think in this instance providing a link with the exact product you purchased would be completely acceptable, I for one always appreciate pics and links to a problem solved as it takes guess work out and will help others in the future. Out of curiosity would have applying White Lithium Grease more frequently to the area have prevented rusting? I find it interesting that when doing a search on this, half the results come from the UK, is there a reason that rusting of certain areas is so prevalent in the UK but not as much in the snowy parts of the States? This caught my eye as I just replaced my rear arch liners and half the posts with rust in that area came from the UK.

As for the search functionality, it has gotten a lot better, however probably the best catch all method is still with google like this: "s2ki.com bonnet hood spring"