S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

bogging out/idle

Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

If I take my airbox lid off the heatsoak is much worse and the car feels like it lacks a lot of tq across the band.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/854...g/page__st__25

scroll half way down and there picture. im suffering from this too right now and hope this will solve my problem
Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, taking the air box lid off is going to lead to more heatsoak and worsen your problem...if youre sitting at a light on a hot day, rev the motor real quick to suck the hot air out of the manifold before you take off
Old 06-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, ill take these tips into consideration. thanks guys
Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I stated that.. I knew I was going to get called out thats why I said something up front.

I'm already doing better with my gastank so I'm going to finish it out with it off and see how much more I get out of it. Factors are at play though.. Temperature, Humidity etc.. It all affects the car in some shape or form. I just can't wait to dump the damn airbox and get something that flows.

I'm not a cheapass but rather just hesitant. I'm fighting a ticket right now and If I lose I pay the fine and go to traffic school. If it gets dismissed I earned myself a "performance reward".

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s2pat
hey everyone, quick question, on my s2000 i noticed while stationary if i tap the gas pedal quick it seems to bog out for a second at idle then go back up to idling normally. anyone ever heard of this? thanks
What happens if you DON'T tap the gas pedal? What happens if you just leave it alone?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Good point. When do you ever exit a corner at 1k RPM

Take it on the road and drive it.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by s2pat' timestamp='1339895865' post='21787608
hey everyone, quick question, on my s2000 i noticed while stationary if i tap the gas pedal quick it seems to bog out for a second at idle then go back up to idling normally. anyone ever heard of this? thanks
What happens if you DON'T tap the gas pedal? What happens if you just leave it alone?
it just idles
Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s2pat
Originally Posted by xviper' timestamp='1340083257' post='21792930
it just idles
I'm going to make the assumption that the car has been properly maintained, like the air filter isn't all clogged up, the sparkplugs are the correct ones and they aren't high mileage and you're using the right kind of gas and you've been doing injector cleaning periodically with gas additive type cleaner. If that's the wrong assumption, then get those things taken care of. If they're all good, then I'm going to make another guess about how you drive when you are slowing down and coming to a stop. You're in the habit of pushing the clutch in well in advance of where you stop. You are pushing the clutch in when the rpm is still well above 2000 to 3000 rpm. Or, you're not downshifting and using engine braking as you slow down and you're just pushing the clutch in and using the brakes to slow down. This is also when the engine bay temps are high. It doesn't matter if it's summer or the cold of winter as engine bay temps can get hot anytime.
Try downshifting with rev matching, getting the clutch back up ASAP. When stopping, resist pushing the clutch down till the engine rpm has passed below 1000 rpm. Once you've done that and stopped, I'm going to guess it won't die anymore. Leave the gas alone till you're ready to take off again. If it's hot, use lots of rpm to get going (3500 to 4000 rpm), learn to manage the clutch.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by s2pat' timestamp='1340110593' post='21793451
[quote name='xviper' timestamp='1340083257' post='21792930']
it just idles
I'm going to make the assumption that the car has been properly maintained, like the air filter isn't all clogged up, the sparkplugs are the correct ones and they aren't high mileage and you're using the right kind of gas and you've been doing injector cleaning periodically with gas additive type cleaner. If that's the wrong assumption, then get those things taken care of. If they're all good, then I'm going to make another guess about how you drive when you are slowing down and coming to a stop. You're in the habit of pushing the clutch in well in advance of where you stop. You are pushing the clutch in when the rpm is still well above 2000 to 3000 rpm. Or, you're not downshifting and using engine braking as you slow down and you're just pushing the clutch in and using the brakes to slow down. This is also when the engine bay temps are high. It doesn't matter if it's summer or the cold of winter as engine bay temps can get hot anytime.
Try downshifting with rev matching, getting the clutch back up ASAP. When stopping, resist pushing the clutch down till the engine rpm has passed below 1000 rpm. Once you've done that and stopped, I'm going to guess it won't die anymore. Leave the gas alone till you're ready to take off again. If it's hot, use lots of rpm to get going (3500 to 4000 rpm), learn to manage the clutch.
[/quote]
i will be doing a full maintenance job this week. and i will pay more attention to the rpms and use the clutch as you said. thanks for the advice, ill post again the reults

Quick Reply: bogging out/idle