S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bogging issues

Old 11-05-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging issues

I bought my car in July when the weather was still hot then about 3 weeks ago when the tempeature was cold, i turned on my car and the idle jumped very high then dropped so after letting my car warm as normal I went to Sears to visit a friend. After I left Sears I noticed that my car started bogging or when I tried to accelerate hard, it felt like it was struggling. After I came home, I shut off the car and let it sit for about 20 min. Then I drove it again down my street hitting VTEC almost every gear and it was fine. Then a week later it started back up again. The next day it was fine. Then Monday of this week it acted up and it was longer than the previous 2 times. Then Saturday while leaving from an interview it started back up when i was leaving an exit ramp and then when I stopped at a red light, my RPM bars dropped down to only 2 bars then the car just died. I pressed my engine start button about 4 times to get it running again. Then I had my dad follow me to the Honda dealership and while i was driving, just hitting the accelerator lightly, you would still feel something was wrong. Trying to hard accelerate would almost be impossible. I still have my extended warranty so I'm hoping I wouldn't have to pay for any fixes cause I know its an internal problem. The service guy did mention the ECU reset and I told him that my oil is good, replaced the spark plugs last month and replaced the air filter in september. I even told the people to test drive the car so they would know exactly whats going on and I hope they dont try to say nothing is wrong with the car cause my dad will go corporate on them. ANYWAY, besides the point, does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?? My car is bone stock and I havent done any mods so if anyone has any idea, PLEASE PM me or something
Old 11-05-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the well-documented MAP sensor issue. Search for "MAP Whack" and you'll find more info on it. However, I think it has been deemed that an actual "whack" is no longer necessary. Just unplug the sensor and plug it back in securely. That should fix the problem for you. I think there's also a TSB and a new part that you can get to address the issue.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ishbu,Nov 5 2006, 10:11 AM
I had my dad follow me to the Honda dealership
What did the dealer say
Old 11-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Well I got a call from the dealership and they said that they found somethin on the MAP sensor so they will replace that and its at no charge cause of the exteneded warranty but thats the only thing they could possibly find. Anyway I'll be pickin my car up around 5 - 5:30ish so hopefully it wont act up again
Old 11-06-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

had this on my 03, went away after i replaced the map sensor with the updated one with the zip tie around it. this should definitley take care of it for you. if not, i'd look into cleaning the throttle body.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ishbu,Nov 6 2006, 02:44 PM
Well I got a call from the dealership and they said that they found somethin on the MAP sensor so they will replace that and its at no charge cause of the exteneded warranty but thats the only thing they could possibly find. Anyway I'll be pickin my car up around 5 - 5:30ish so hopefully it wont act up again
When you get it back, make sure they installed the "redesigned" MAP sensor. It should look like it has a zip tie wrapped around it.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:56 PM

hmm so those are map whack symptoms? i had kinda the same thing a few months ago...engine felt like it was "suffocating", and would die out if i took my foot off the gas. i thought it was the filter...installed an AEM V2 since i had one on hand...no problems since.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by rustywave,Nov 6 2006, 04:56 PM
hmm so those are map whack symptoms? i had kinda the same thing a few months ago...engine felt like it was "suffocating", and would die out if i took my foot off the gas. i thought it was the filter...installed an AEM V2 since i had one on hand...no problems since.
It's MAP sensor symptoms, but it could also be symptoms of other issues.

When I had MAP sensor issues, my car pulled fine through ~7K RPMs, then it felt like somebody deployed a parachute and it took forever to get to redline.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

My car used to bog on me pretty bad, it turns out my paper oem filter was dirty and clogged. You should check your airway to see if anything is obstructing it and stopping the engine from breathing.

I suggest a gutted airbox with drop in KandN filter. I also put on a snorkal system and now i dont bog and get better response!