S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Body Shop Fixed My Car

Old 10-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Shop Fixed My Car

I basically got a whole new rear suspension after my car hit the curb sideways and snapped a few things. Now, my car feels like it has no rigidity in the rear. Sways too much. Body shop said all the new rubber bushings need time to break in, but I don't think that is what is causing such a durastic change in handling.

Any ideas?

Should I buy an x-brace or some sort of bar to stiffen up the backend?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did they replace the wheels? A buddy had a rear collision repair and the body shop replaced the damaged rear wheels with front wheels. Naturally, those are a lot more narrow and was leading to loads of oversteer.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the rear of the car roll or does it oversteer? Body roll is when the car tilts (in a left turn the right side dips down), oversteer is when the rear moves to the outside of the turn, or put another way, if the car turns sharper than the steering input you set. A roll problem could be a missing sway bar link or dead shock. Oversteer might just be alignment.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 PM

Did they replace the wheels? A buddy had a rear collision repair and the body shop replaced the damaged rear wheels with front wheels. Naturally, those are a lot more narrow and was leading to loads of oversteer.
They replaced the rears with the correct tire size.

Does the rear of the car roll or does it oversteer? Body roll is when the car tilts (in a left turn the right side dips down), oversteer is when the rear moves to the outside of the turn, or put another way, if the car turns sharper than the steering input you set. A roll problem could be a missing sway bar link or dead shock. Oversteer might just be alignment.
A little of both. It seems like the front of the car is doing a good job of resisting the twisting/tilting motion of a turn, but the back end isn't. Put it this way, if I were driving down the highway and I needed to dodge something on the road quickly, my back end feels like it would just fly out and drift. With that said, yes lots of oversteer.

I don't believe it is alignment because when they changed the tires they aligned everything. The quarter panel did get replaced though and I've heard about the frame losing rigidity when that gets done. Does this sound right?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=524067

Here's the original thread with pics of the accident. Had a hard time finding it!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

considering you had so much work done to the rear...it could be a variety of things...spring, shock, sways, etc...
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 PM

LOL @ the bushings needing to break-in.

get it on a lift and have a good look around? Always good to have a clear visual inspection. Have a flashlight at hand as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 AM

Hey you've gotta update that original thread and let folks have a look at the repair and final total! I just threw my opinion in there

I wonder if it just needs to be broken in a little, allow some components to settle and work themselves in.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Check the rear toe. Sounds like it's toed out.

Maybe go to another shop that doesn't point the finger at NEW bushings. Unbelieveable.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:57 AM

I'll try and take pics of the repairs and all that. It pretty much feels like the tire pressures are off in the rear, but they are not. Just has that feel to it when you turn and so forth..

I'll have the alignment checked again. The shop said it's a lifetime warranty and that I can bring it in and they'll look over a few things to see what it is.

Quick Reply: Body Shop Fixed My Car